Rover V8 build log

Post discussions on potential upgrades and modifications here, as well as documenting successfully implemented projects.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Rover V8 build log

Post by richardw »

Is the self tuning to do with running closed loop lambda (so the target afr is met by dynamically adjusting fuelling?) I want to implement this on my DTA system.

Cheers, Richard

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

All will be revealed, anyway, phase one. Tank out and a very boring afternoon with a steamer getting all the petrol smells out. Why, cos some idiot with a death wish has got to cut a 114mm hole in the top for the fuel pump.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Heres all the big bits laid out. The ecu for the 4 barrel has a hand held unit that plugs in and the settings can be altered from that unit but it doesnt need to be plugged in all the time. Some basic parameters are programmed into the ecu from there such as engine size, max revs, tickover speed, etc, but the hand held can be unplugged once the basics are in. You can leave in in and it has a dashboard function showing whats happening and also data logs can be generated. The ecu reads a supplied wide band lambda, a supplied water temperature sensor and it can run from either a tach signal from the coil so the existing ignition can be used, or it can control the ignition. Igniton settings are not self learning and have to have some basics entered into it after which it is self adjusting.
It also controls the fuel pump. Ive gone for a hyperfuel unit in tank unit and the ecu tells the pump what demand is needed. The system runs at 56 psi with a return line, hence the coil of braided fuel line is needed. It is compatible with all likely ethanol mixes.
Pete asked why in tank, well, its quieter for one thing and its more reliable because the pump is surrounded by fuel cooling it.
The ecu can also control when the radiator fans kick in and out.
Heres all the big bits, I will show a bit more detail as I go along.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Heres the website for fitech.
The unit comes with 4 x 85lb injectors, hence the rating of 200 to 600 hp. But Ive calculated the duty cycle of injectors for my engine spec and Ive already changed them for 36 lb units but they are just a standard injector that blows into a port in the unit which then distributes into an annular pattern in each barrel, effectively about 8 injection points around each barrel for better fuel distribution.
There are lots of forums for backup help and loads of help on utube. Fitech has its own utube help channel.
You can mess about with all of the parameters on the hand held unit, it can save different maps and if you get lost you can go right back to basics while still retaining your previous attempt (or cockup ).
Im going to go for non ignition control first and get it running correctly. It can be left like that, many people do, but eventually I will put ignition control in. The only problem is that the distributor has to be phased, and if you have never heard of that before welcome to the rabbit hole and look it up.
Bash.
https://fitechefi.com/product/go-efi-4-600hp-system/

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Can't you run coil packs or COP to get rid of the distributor altogether?

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

For LS conversions they do a full version including an inlet manifold, but this system is aimed at the retro market and to a casual observer it looks standard.
Bash

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Bash is still posting so the hole in the tank either hasn't been done yet, or it went well 😅

Neil

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Another day of steaming but Im going to cut the tank tomorrow. I will be flooding it with argon from the tig welder too. Hot metal cuttings are the worry.
Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Are you going to reinforce the periphery of the hole?

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

All the fuel pump bits laid out. The horseshoe shaped alloy ring reinforces the hole and fits into the tank hole via the gap, and the thick rubber gasket fits on the outside.
C'ant put it off any longer, got to cut the hole. Takes a bit of thinking about though. There are two full height baffles in the tank, the rough position being indicated by spot welds on the outside. Taking out the fuel level sender ( float is to the nearside if you are interested) shows the flanges of the baffles are towards the end of the tank which makes positioning the new hole easier.
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Post coming in wanted section....... No, its good and no explosion either.
So, how much rust would you think is inside a 36year old 140000 mile excel petrol tank ?
None, not a sausage, nowt, bugger all.

Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Brilliant! And you've still got your eyebrows :lol:

Pete

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Good result! Assume there's a way to ensure you get to use most of the fuel in the tank?

Neil.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Yes, its called my right foot, if I get the installation right. The correct answer is probably below.
Got the bits in last night. The tanks been drilled to match the horseshoe shaped reinforcing / mounting ring. The height of the pump is adjusted on its metal post so that the filter sock sits on the tank bottom and the return rubber hose is also mounted on the same post so it discharges near to the floor of the tank.

Cleaning all of the metal chips and deburring took longer than I thought but I didnt want to leave any bits in there.

Bash