Rover V8 build log

Post discussions on potential upgrades and modifications here, as well as documenting successfully implemented projects.

Moderator: Board Moderators

dunc
Regular Poster
Model: 80 Eclat S2 V8, 76Eclat 520
Colour: ylw, coral

Re: RV8 build

Post by dunc »

You've got to be happy with that - that engine's got to be making some impressive torque

Assuming that bhp readings is somewhere near 4500 rpm, that is about 250lb ft.

impressive!

STELL
Senior Poster
Model: SE All options :-)
Colour: Black
Year: 1988

Post by STELL »

2 years ago i changed from a LC 160 HP engine to a HC 180,. That was quite an improvment, I also changed to the large PNM enginering front disc set. :-)
now reading this , i'd love that 210 HP unit you have.
Congrats :-)

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Thanks guys. It was just very carefully built but the secret to good hp on a RV8 is the heads cos they are quite restrictive in standard form although that can be cured by some wildcat heads if youve got the dosh, but I spent a great deal of time on them...weeks, but I didnt build them for ultimate power I had a TVR390se some years ago and although was 275bhp it was actually better on fuel on a run than a standard engine and Im a tight get.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

dunc
Regular Poster
Model: 80 Eclat S2 V8, 76Eclat 520
Colour: ylw, coral

Post by dunc »

Your spot on with breathing being the limiting factor on the RV8.

I find myself looking enviously at those Merlin F85 heads on ebay, but 3 grand is a bit strong. I'm also not sure how much of an improvement they would be as my current heads are ported and big valve, but are of unknown flow/spec.

I have a supercharger kit sitting on the bench which would change the dynamic slightly, but I have a million jobs to do in front of that...

Passed the MOT on saturday though :-)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 417&type=3

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

spot the loose nut
https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/sha ... aKiMtmB1rc

just my attempt to post a photo really, Ive mastered nailing a jelly to the ceiling so I thought Id try a harder task !!

Bash

Im one of the loose nuts, pete boole is another and andy is a double elan owner. Im sure there may be a few in the car as well.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

theflyingjon
Junior Poster

Post by theflyingjon »

Great to see that you're still at it! Impressive numbers on the dyno too!
Hope that the diff is running fine.

Jon

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Still a work in progress, always will be I suppose.

Bash

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

(Don't ask how, it's messy).
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

theflyingjon
Junior Poster

Post by theflyingjon »

amarshall wrote:Image

(Don't ask how, it's messy).
I can't see the picture!!

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Damnit! It's even messier than I thought. Amazon is not a recommended host for embeddable images.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

How would a Rover V8 transplant like this fare in the light of the proposed changes from our "friends" in the DFT?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... and-safety

"4.12 Reconstructed (restored) classic cars undergoing IVA will not be required to meet the latest MOT standards, as long as the appearance of the vehicle is broadly unchanged and the engine is of the same capacity as that supplied with the vehicle when it was new."

If the rolling exemption is still in place are scary looking paragraphs like this not redundant? I thought only kit cars had to undergo IVA rather than modified classics?
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Simpatico wrote:How would a Rover V8 transplant like this fare in the light of the proposed changes from our "friends" in the DFT?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... and-safety

"4.12 Reconstructed (restored) classic cars undergoing IVA will not be required to meet the latest MOT standards, as long as the appearance of the vehicle is broadly unchanged and the engine is of the same capacity as that supplied with the vehicle when it was new."

If the rolling exemption is still in place are scary looking paragraphs like this not redundant? I thought only kit cars had to undergo IVA rather than modified classics?
I think if you update the V5 with a dramatic change in engine capacity from 2.2 to 3.9 L (or whatever) then it sounds like in future paragraph 4.12 will be applied. So I'd expect a letter from the DVLA instructing the owner to take an IVA test.

Maybe the LotusBits 2.5L conversion will be OK as it only represents a 13% capacity increase (and it's applied to the original engine) versus a 77% increase for a 3.9L V8 conversion and lacks originality.

When our Lotus are over 40 years old you will only acheive Vehicle of Historic Interest (VHI) and MOT exemption if changes to chassis/body, suspension, drivetrain and steering systems score over 8 points for originality. Body/chassis is most important (lion's share of the points- 5 points to lose IIRC) but changes to suspension steering, brakes, and drive train soon add-up (or detract rather). Points for Engine originality are low (only 2 points to lose IIRC) so there is wriggle room for mods here. If you fail to score a total of 8 points for your modified classic your number plate is replaced with a Q plate :( , you lose VHI and you'd have to pay road tax.

Assuming you score 8 or more points and you keep your plate /VHI, you still have to comply with originality rules for MOT exemption. For example it has been proposed that mods increasing the power to weight ratio above 15% of the original WILL NEED an annual MOT regardless of Historic Status.

Much discussion on other classic car forums on this and I believe some proposals set out in the discussion document to become law on 20th May 2018 have changed already ... my Clan will scrape through the 8 point system for VHI but I'm pretty sure that as the proposals stand at last time of looking I'd fall foul of the 15% power to weight increase :roll: ..but I have a std 55BHP 875cc Imp sport engine and std gearbox on standby... :D

BTW Mods that help clean-up your classic for the sake of the environment are allowed, which means mapped ignition, full EFI etc are not a concern (at last time of looking).
Peter K

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Dont tell em Pike......
But, my conversion was never going to be permanent anyway, I havnt changed anything at all from standard other than the engine. I still have the original and it could go back in very quickly with a minimum of fuss but the government are setting the classsic car / tuning / kit car scene on a slippery slope that employs large numbers of people. Another euro interference document, the next one thats a big danger is where all motor vehicles, off the road or not, intended for the road or not, will require insurance. No doubt this will be accompanied with thier right to enter your land take your car and crush it..... get ready !

Bash

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

bash wrote:.....off the road or not, intended for the road or not, will require insurance. ..... get ready !

Bash
Think that's in already! Or did I mess up again?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Well I thought I give an update. Its probably not clear in the earlier write ups but the later model heads were removed at the time of the cam issues and I fitted some SD1 heads that I had done alot of work on and its still got the standard the standard 3.9 injection cam in that was fitted just prior to the rolling road session so more power could be had with a better cam ( 210hp at present ). Ive adjusted the fuelling on the carb so the mid range is even better than it was on the rolling road day and it runs very smoothly. The new throttle cable snapped on me at the pedal end so has another new one on ( nowt to do with the conversion just a poor new bit). My 3.54 diff is rebuilt and is going in over the winter as the 3.7 is still too low a ratio. Even tho we have had the hottest summer on record the standard two row excel radiator was just fine.
Still pleased Ive done it.

Bash