Need some info on pads and shocks

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Need some info on pads and shocks

Post by Sparrow »

Hello All,

I will be using the standard disc and pads and wondered what everyone is using for pads i was looking to use Mintex 1144's on the front. What are people using for the rears.

With regards to suspension what are people using? I was looking to purchase Gaz shocks as i have used them before
I haven't seen daylight in 17 years now i have been finally rescued :D

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Need some info on pads and shocks

Post by richardw »

Hi Sparrow,

Let me add my welcome to the forum. You have a great project.

My personal advice would be to stick as close as possible to the original Lotus setup. If you can’t find original dampers, or good copies, I’d recommend Protech (I use them) which are available from SJ sports cars. I would not recommend coil overs unless you want to change the car into a track car - they reduce refinement and ride comfort. One of the great features of the Excel is the combination of comfort and handling, which was a particular strength of Lotus.

SJ also do springs that are close to the original setup if you need them but I would guess that you don’t. In fact your shocks might be ok - don’t write them off just yet! If your car is late enough they will be gas shocks.

Can’t help on the pads but Lotusbits is your best option on these in my opinion. If you visit, don’t take your wallet!

Cheers, Richard

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Thank you very much Richard.

I was looking at protec from them which it was going to be them or Gaz. The shocks i have just pulled off the front are totally shot as are the springs. I am not to sure about the rears but i think i can save the rear springs just need to be sandblasted and powder coated i think. But i might as well go for them as it will be easier everything in one place. I will be getting some bits from lotus bits which will be ball joints and might get the disc and pads from them will see.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

When I do my suspension refresh I will be going back to standard as I’ve been able to get hold of some NOS genuine Lotus Armstrong units. It is one of the great features of these cars how good the ride and handling is. It was a Chapman philosophy of softly sprung and well damped suspension.

Currently mine has Protech on the rear and (I think) Gaz on the front. The Protech started misting when 3 years old and the adjusters no longer function.

As Richard has said, unless you want to sacrifice ride comfort for track use staying as close to stock would be the best. I know Mike at Lotusbits has reproduced the standard rear shocks - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284250185991 I believe he is working on the fronts - might be worth checking.

Ps I’m sure the upper front ball joints are standard Triumph Herald parts.

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Thank you very much for that Alan. I did see the rears that he does but the only thing that stopped me was they dont do front however i will contact them to see what they do when they need to change the fronts.

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Had a word with lotus bits and they can only supply standard rear shocks which is a shame the fronts will have to be AVO. Am i correct that the fronts are only adjustable by the how hard you want the shock?

I am thinking really hard here i am thinking of going for the rear standard lotus copies that lotus bits do but i am not sure what to do with the fronts. What do you guys think????

With regards to the Pads also i am thinking standard discs all round from lotus bits with green stuff pads and standard rear pads what are your thoughts also on this????

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

I assume the AVO shocks work with standard springs? Lotusbits also use AVO coilovers with narrower diameter springs which will give you a different ride quality. Otherwise, based on my own experience, I would recommend the Protech shocks which I think work with standard springs - if not get the Protech springs which are rated the same as Lotus standard.

AVO and Protech should both be adjustable for stiffness. The Protechs are only height adjustable at the rear.

Cheers, Richard

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

richardw wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 16:49
I assume the AVO shocks work with standard springs? Lotusbits also use AVO coilovers with narrower diameter springs which will give you a different ride quality. Otherwise, based on my own experience, I would recommend the Protech shocks which I think work with standard springs - if not get the Protech springs which are rated the same as Lotus standard.

AVO and Protech should both be adjustable for stiffness. The Protechs are only height adjustable at the rear.

Cheers, Richard
Hi Richard,

So if i went with the Protech front shocks with the standard rear shock from lotus bits that would work.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

I have Protech on my Excel. They fit with the standard Lotus springs, and you can adjust them via a dial on the side.
On the assumption that Lotus knew more about setting up cars than I do (!) I wanted my dampers to be as close to the Lotus settings as possible and have the dial set to the mid-point.
Tony

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

tonypoll wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:22
I have Protech on my Excel. They fit with the standard Lotus springs, and you can adjust them via a dial on the side.
On the assumption that Lotus knew more about setting up cars than I do (!) I wanted my dampers to be as close to the Lotus settings as possible and have the dial set to the mid-point.
Tony
Thanks Tony,