What Front Speaker?

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pegsyno1
Verified Poster

What Front Speaker?

Post by Pegsyno1 »

Hi

I'm going to change the front speakers in my 87 Excel. I'm not looking to pay too much, £30 touch, I want something that will fit straight in, no trimming or fettling and I want to keep the existing grill. I'm not too worried about RMS or ohms or any other type of audio witchcraft, strictly Radio 2 until Tony Blackburn comes on!
I've searched the posts and have seen these Pioneer TS-E1002i which seem to fit the bill, but before I get the credit card out am I missing something or can somebody make another recommendation?
Thanks in advance

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Re: What Front Speaker?

Post by KevW »

I have Pioneer speakers fitted to the front door cards on my Excel, although mine are an older TS model. They fitted without any problem although I was happy to ditch the O.E. grille as it and the speakers fitted by Lotus were pretty crappy. I sprayed the new pioneer grille, including the Pioneer badge, with some satin black paint to tone things down a bit.

The nice thing about fitting speakers in the door cards of an Excel is that there are no worries about them getting damp as the speaker doesn't sit in the door cavity as they do on a lot of cars.
Kev W no.282

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

i am also looking for the same thing , something that will fit into the 90mm hole in the door card without any messing

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

those speakers might not actually fit.

i have spent some time trying to find a speaker that will drop in to the holes without any cutting. the holes is only 90mm across

Radar
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1988

Post by Radar »

I was about to post the same question funnily enough

Pegsyno1
Verified Poster

Post by Pegsyno1 »

If its a 90mm hole, will any 3.5" speaker fit?

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

i spent a couple of hours the other night looking at ebay/amazon, car audio sites ect , on my 90 excel the hole is 90mm and i couldnt find anything , partly because so few speakers actually specify the mounting hole required, alot of modern speakers taper off, i imagine a few would go in but not sit flush. i gave up and just listen to the music coming from the engine.