Air Horn faults.

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Air Horn faults.

Post by MetBlue »

It's nearly MOT time so a few points to rectify.
Had reason to use the horn recently and although something happened, a horn it certainly wasn't. Checked today and the noise you hear is just the compressor running. Removed N/S headlamp and pipes are sound and fitted, but then the two pipes disappear into the nose cone.
A few questions :
Can the compressor motor run, but not generate any pressure.?
Is it possible to access the trumpets without a full removal of the bumper, radiator or the cowling?
As I write this I'm thinking I can remove a pipe and blow down it to see if I get any noise.
I did temporarily lash in the Fiams from my Elite which work. Not exactly loud, but it should tick the Mot box if worst comes to the worst.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Re: Air Horn faults.

Post by tonypoll »

Can you see the complete length of the air tubes? It's quite common for these to crack, and hence no air gets through. I had this on my Excel a few years ago, and replacing the plastic tubes is a pain!

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

I can only see the first 6" or so of 2 pipe. After that they just disappear into the nose cone never to be seen again.

When you did yours, what was involved?

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

If you take off the lower radiator cowl the horns are very easily accessible.

On my 89SE at least, there are six fixings for the lower rad cowl. Two lower radiator 10 mm AF nut fixings, two self tappers into the body close by the said rad fixings, and two into the front spoiler somewhere near the Fog lamps.

The spoiler fixings (self tappers and clips near Fog lamps) were a PITA to remove and replace so, once I removed these, I replaced them with RIVNUT fixings and stainless allen screws because I often remove the lower rad cowl for most jobs toward the front of the engine.

Lack of of noise is not necessarily due to split tubes - give the horns a good INTERNAL spray with WD40 whilst operating the button (friend required) - it does wonders for the restoration of a proper HONK ..even if the original sound is still a bit like a Noddy Car honk.

As well asthe application of WD40 down the trumpets - also tap the horns with something hard- basically they seize-up due to their location within the rad 'venturi' - lots of moist air enters that front grill and gets into the horns... :)
Peter K

Zag
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Ice Blue
Year: 1986

Post by Zag »

I've had this previously, it was simply insufficient pressure to sound the horns. Sorted by copious amounts of gt85 into the compressor and run it for a bit with pipes removed.

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

I was going to say all that too!!!!
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Is GT85 the same as WD40? That's what I squirted into mine! Worked a treat.

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Thanks guys.
I have a plan now. Will remove air pump and separately blow air into the trumpets. Should be able to see what flow the pump delivers and ply it with some Lubricant.
Visiting Lotusbit's on Thursday as I need a couple of rear seat belt plates. If the pump is shot, might be a good opportunity.

If all else fails, I'll use the M8 bolt holding the air pump to mount the Fiamms for the Mot.

I need to know more about the spoiled fixing and the radiator cowl. It needs to come off for some paint attention so I can see the rivets being replaced with M5 screws.

Tony

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Problem solved. Turns out Noddies horn is a lot happier being blown than sucked 📯📯..... Careful guys.... The moderator will want a word.
Don't know if it was the wiring polarity that was wrong or the pipes on wrong, but once connected correctly it honks like a good un.

Used my 240 V air compressor to work out which pipe the trumpet is connected to. My that was loud 🎺. I wonder if I could rig a 100 p.s.i. air tank in and just open a solenoid valve when I need the hooter. 🤔. That would certainly draw attention.

Tony

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Careful Tony - you might run out of things to fix and have to return to the Elite!! :lol:

Pete