Excel at auction 30/10

Eclat or Excel parts for sale.

Moderator: Board Moderators

vansman66
Verified Poster

Excel at auction 30/10

Post by vansman66 »

SWVA, my local car auction has another Excel going through, I viewed and bid on the last one they had, which went on to make over 8K + buyers fees.
Link below
https://www.swva.co.uk/classic-car/lotus-excel-1989/

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Excel at auction 30/10

Post by MetBlue »

Looks a good tidy car with pretty decent history.
Seen a lot worse !!!
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

Looks very tidy, indeed!
What car is that?

HC180
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1991

Post by HC180 »

vansman66
Verified Poster

Post by vansman66 »

Just an update, went to view this Excel at SWVA Poole so thought I would post my view.
Its a pretty decent car underneath and the inside is equally tidy, headling sagging at the rear, wood on dash needs sorting out and a general good clean and tidy inside.
The worst thing on the car, is the paint job, its clearly in the not too distant past had a respray, a few areas are showing signs of shrinkage in repaired areas and there are many places where overspray or a lack of flowing out the paint are evident, the car will need flatting back with fine grades of wet n dry, then a machine polish which hopefully wont go through the paint resulting in a respray needed. Its was quite difficult to gauge condition on a lot of the car due to be parked in a storage shed/building with very poor lighting and cars close together so the items Ive pointed out are my opinion only. I was hoping it was going to be a little better to be honest and certainly not worth the estimate but then again the last one they had made 8100 so I could just be right off on my estimates and views on condition vs price.

cthomp32
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Monaco white
Year: 1990

Post by cthomp32 »

vansman66 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 14:57
Just an update, went to view this Excel at SWVA Poole so thought I would post my view.
Its a pretty decent car underneath and the inside is equally tidy, headling sagging at the rear, wood on dash needs sorting out and a general good clean and tidy inside.
The worst thing on the car, is the paint job, its clearly in the not too distant past had a respray, a few areas are showing signs of shrinkage in repaired areas and there are many places where overspray or a lack of flowing out the paint are evident, the car will need flatting back with fine grades of wet n dry, then a machine polish which hopefully wont go through the paint resulting in a respray needed. Its was quite difficult to gauge condition on a lot of the car due to be parked in a storage shed/building with very poor lighting and cars close together so the items Ive pointed out are my opinion only. I was hoping it was going to be a little better to be honest and certainly not worth the estimate but then again the last one they had made 8100 so I could just be right off on my estimates and views on condition vs price.
I viewed that car and agree with you about the paint condition, plus there were areas where it had peeled from the paint underneath so not just a cut and polish unfortunately.
Head lining needed work along with other bits of the interior.
Rear exhaust flanges had been welded and repaired and looked like they wouldn’t last for too long.
In the car’s favour were the huge amount of receipts for the work that had been previously completed.
Hope the new owner is enjoying their purchase.