Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Can I post pdf files?

Post by MetBlue »

Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but how do you post .pdf files?
For photo's I use dropbox and "share"

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Can I post pdf files?

Post by richardw »

Tony, I think it may be possible. It looks like there is an administration setting (above my pay grade) that needs to be changed, so I'll ask and report back.

Cheers, Richard

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

I was sure that there used to be a facility for attachments (pdf file or what ever) and indeed if you go to your User Control Panel there is an option to "Manage Attachments".
However I can't see how you can do this in the current version so it is, as Richard suggests, probably an Admin setting.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green

Post by alanmoss »

From the phpBB User Guide:

Attachments

Attachments allow users to upload files and attach them to their post. The ability to attach and download attachments is determined by the "Can attach files" and "Can download files" permissions respectively.

To add an attachment, find the ATTACHMENTS section of the posting page and click the ADD FILES button. A comment may be placed in the FILE COMMENT text box. Clicking ADD THE FILE will upload and attach the file to the post. To upload multiple files, repeat the process. Attachments may also be uploaded by dragging and dropping a file onto the message area of the posting screen.

To delete an attachment, find the attachments list at the bottom of the ATTACHMENTS section of the posting page and click the DELETE FILE button for the desired attachment.

Attachments can be displayed within the post text by clicking the PLACE INLINE button for the desired attachment. When an attachment is placed inline, text similar to a BBCode is inserted into the post text so that it may be moved. If an attachment is not placed inline, it will be displayed at the end of the post.

Attachments are controlled by a set of restrictions, namely file size and file type.

File Size: The maximum file size for uploaded files is set by the Administrator. The default is 256KiB.

File Type: The types of files allowed for upload are restricted by their file extension. The allowed extensions are set by the Administrator.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Let me ask a slightly different question.
How can I scan an article and post it in this section? Looks like a number of people are able to do so.

Only way I can see at the moment is to photograph the article, then post the photo, but most of the articles posted do not look like photo's

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

tezzan
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1984

Post by tezzan »

Tony

I'm guessing that your scanner software produces .pdf files? If so, two options spring to mind.
- Either: Configure the scanner software to output to .jpg files, then use your dropbox and share approach.
- Or: Scan to a .pdf file, then use a pdf viewer that allows copy/paste functions (eg "snapshot" in foxit reader/viewer) to copy the page into a .jpg. Save this file and then use your dropbox & share technique.

Hope that helps.....

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus

Post by Sirclip »

Hi Tony,
Do you want the PDF file to be displayed directly in your post, or do you want the person reading the post to be able to click on a link to the PDF and view it in their browser? (there are 2 ways)

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

tezzan wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 00:01
Tony

I'm guessing that your scanner software produces .pdf files? If so, two options spring to mind.
- Either: Configure the scanner software to output to .jpg files, then use your dropbox and share approach.
- Or: Scan to a .pdf file, then use a pdf viewer that allows copy/paste functions (eg "snapshot" in foxit reader/viewer) to copy the page into a .jpg. Save this file and then use your dropbox & share technique.

Hope that helps.....
Yes Tony, people scan documents ands save them as images as tezzan says. There is currently no way to display a pdf. In technical terms, a photo is merely an image with very high resolution so you don't need to scan as a photo! Choose something like 300dpi resolution when you scan - that will be plenty good enough.

Cheers, Richard