wing Mirror

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

wing Mirror

Post by pistolpete »

so it feels like I ve broken a spring inside the mirror unit as it just wobbles about, how do I get inside I assume I remove the glass? Its all firmly fixed to the car OK

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: wing Mirror

Post by Hawaiis0 »

1990 - Door mounted I guess as opposed to glass mounted?

My 1986 glass mounted, the mirror is fixed to a centre pedestal. When mine came loose and wobbled, it was just the glass adhesive coming away.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

barker_001
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by barker_001 »

This guide for the Esprit (same Citroen mirrors as the 89MY onwards Excel) shows how it all comes apart:

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/t ... al-refurb/
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

No the glass is not loose, the bulb if you like is loose to the stem of the unit. So it is a door mounted unit Car is 1990

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

ISTR there's a little die-cast part in there that breaks. Read the Esprit post carefully re removing the glass!! They break easily - DAMHIKIJKOK!

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

My door mirror mounted on door not glass can not be tightened via the clamp Pete refers to above. It points everywhere at random except for backwards! Besides the casting being cracked, the single thread that tightens and holds it to the car is stripped, so just as its nearly tight - it jumps back by a thread pitch.
TVRs use the same mirror and sell the casting separately. I have one on order and awaiting delivery.
I found the Web link somewhere on esprit area of TLF, but can post it here if anyone needs it.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

Ok that sounds like it ,something feels like it has broken, if you have that link handy cheers, I will try and get the mirror off soon as

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

https://www.racetechdirect.co.uk/car-pa ... r-oe-part/

Got pricey by time VAT and postage were added, but a lot cheaper than new mirror, which just happens to also be available from this site.

My casting should arrive tomorrow, so will post report shortly on ease of change. It doesn't look too bad - he says hopefully😏
Tony

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Mirror toad stool changed today. Turned out to be a typical Lotus job : 15 minutes to strip down and find the roadblock that the Lotus Gremlins had constructed (usually a seized bolt or the like, but on this occasion a trapped mirror cable behind the window frame ). 2 hours to remove the road block and 15 minutes to reassemble.
A very simple job really as long as the mirror was fitted after the window frame has been positioned. :!: Hardest part is extracting the wire spades from the connector block ( necessary to pass cable through the door spigot).
Photo of the old and new. You can see the ovality and cracked casting on the old that made it impossible to tighten onto the door mounted spigot.
All sorted now though, mirror points the right way and it doesn't move around randomly. - And no worry it will fall off and damage the paint on one of the few panels not suffering with terminal lacquer peal. :lol:

I do need to play around with the setting though. NS mirror tips up at the outer edge noticeably more than OS. I've seen other cars with the same anomaly. Hoping I can rotate the driver up slightly and the passenger down slightly to get it balanced,

Tony

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

Thanks so far , only just got round to pulling it apart. So that mushroom bit you show is not broken however there seems to be a loose clip and I can 't see where it fits in I assume it somehow allows the pod to move around it click stages when it get hit.

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

The other side of the die casting has 3 Vee notches maybe around 30 degrees radial spacing.
The spring clip is secured inside the mirror and acts on teh die casting to allow mirror to be tipped in.
I can't recall now how the clip is retained. I think it's a philips screw, but may be mistaken.

The refurbish link to Esprits in the earlier post from July should have some pictures that show the spring clip.

Tony

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

SO I think this clip should be attached somewhere but no obvious break marks. it was already floating about when I took it apart . Honest gov

First time posting photo, (hopefully) thanks Alan for youtube video

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Yes. That is the spring clip that acts on the Vee notches you can see in your photo of the casting.
Why is the casting still in the door part. It should be screwed onto the mirror part. If you turn around the black plastic ring on the car door (and pull up), you will find a single grub screw that fixes the die casting to the door mounted post.

Tony

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

I just fitted it back while I took the photo, I had been told by Sj sports that clip is snapped off I can’t see it that’s true or how it goes together if not

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Pete
Looks to me that you might be lucky. Hopefully the bit between your fingers has a hole in it !! ( not broken across and hence half a hole)

As it happens, I'm doing some lacquer restoration on my car, which lead me to removing mirror and stripping the painty bits off.
Below photo shows you where the clip fits and second photo shows it to be rivitted to the main alloy casting. With luck, just your rivets given up the ghost.

referring to link earlier in thread, I can confirm that it is not necessary to remove the 3 small Torx screws to remove the painted back cover entirely - just the large torx holding the mushroom, and 3 cross heads that are self tapped into the plastic.
Hope that all helps
Tony