Leaky door seal fix

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Leaky door seal fix

Post by richardw »

KevW wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:06
It's pretty unobtrusive Pete. I'm surprised Lotus didn't do something similar as OE

I have taken a picture but having downloaded it onto my Photobucket page suddenly I'm unable to post links onto here. Photobucket management really have taken a good site and well and truly knackered it.
Photobucket hasn't worked here since they messed about with it. Try setting up a OneDrive account (in your browser, not on your machine) instead - then you'll be able to post pictures from there.

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks Kev. Yes - OneDrive works OK, once you get the sequence for posting in your head!

Pet

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 13:15
Thanks Kev. Yes - OneDrive works OK, once you get the sequence for posting in your head!

Pet
Do-able from our phones too. Share photo to one drive and off we go :D
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Hi Kev
I want to order the d seals as I am going to replace the door seals due to water getting into the foot wells. Do you happen to have the name of the company you bought them from as the old e bay link won't connect?
Many thanks
Kerry

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

SJS do a Secondary Door Seal C082U5779F which appears under Esprit and I believe fits the Excel.
I got my D Seal very cheap from China but you have to make up the right angle corner joints. Delivery took 6 weeks.

Now that I can post photographs I cannot find the Photos of my door seals.

Dave the cog.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

This is the same sort of 14x12mm seal I used Kerry https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4M-D-shape-C ... SweNle60IN . It's seems the same stuff is sold by many different sellers. It's been on my car for years in all weathers so is durable enough.

Make sure the If the original door seal is fixed to the door aperture properly with some sort of mastic (I used black silicone sealant on my Excel). A snug push-fit is not good enough to prevent water getting behind the seal and running down onto the door sill
Kev W no.282

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Just been reading through this as I clearly have a new interest in such Excel matters.
Besides putting some additional seal on my shopping list, i'd just comment about the moving of the door shell to compress the seal as described about half way through.
Clearly it is possible to press the inner door skin harder to the rubber seal by moving the door, but you will loose the flush alignment ( if you already have it) of the door skin to the front and rear wings. On my Elite, I used this door beam to skin adjustment only to get external panel alignment. When I then found out the seals were not in compression along the bottom of the door, the only solution is building up the door, or adding the second seals this thread very well documents.
NOTE : This only applies to the door skin area. For the window frame areas, you can compress the seal more by using shims to the door beam, as there is no external panel alignments to maintain.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Thanks very much Kev very much appreciated.. I will replace the complete door seal to each door and set them in the black mastic. I also notice that I have a large gap between the window glass and the outer skin which can allow water into the door so I am going to find a seal that will fit here too
Regards kerry

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Thanks Dave that is a great help
Kerry

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Just an update on the seals.
Fitted the passenger door seal and found it was too long!
Rang the suppliers and they told me that it is the correct size and I need to fit the seal to the frame at about 300mm centres and leave a small loop of seal and then use a section of wood and hammer to secure the looped section in position. Low and behold it fits. So much for my practical skills! Many thanks to SJ Sportscars for their help. Fingers crossed water leaks are banished forever. Thanks all for your advice as always. Kerry