Hazards & Indicators

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Doc Si
Regular Poster
Model: 86 SE
Colour: RED
Year: 1986

Hazards & Indicators

Post by Doc Si »

Hey guys....explain this one if you can.
Yesterday I found that the right hand indicators were not functioning, rear front and side repeater, the rear bulb and socket were a bit corroded so easy to fix that one. Front indicator & repeater still not working.
The repeater is pretty rusty, cannot get the bulb out so I think that is the problem there but this morning having another look; now the front side light comes on when the indicator should! It also comes when it should. Left side all OK.

Why would the side come on instead of indicator?

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Hazards & Indicators

Post by AndyC »

Sounds like an earth fault on that front light unit.
If the earth is faulty, then the current to the indicator uses the side light as the return path. Since that's a 5w lamp vs 21w for indicator, the current is much lower, so the indicator doesn't get warm enough to glow.

Doc Si
Regular Poster

Post by Doc Si »

That’s an interesting thought, don’t suppose you know where that earth is to be found?

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Corrosion in side/indy unit or side repeater
10 dollars on the side repeater as the issue. Therefore as a betting man it must be the front light unit :roll:
Can you take out fuse 8 then try your indicator? That removes the parallel path for the side light.
Side and indicator unit has the same earth which may be worth a look behind the lens cover and bullet connectors in the pod well. If i remember correctly
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

As said probably down to corrosion/earth connection issue.

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

Earth is via a wire which has connectors in the headlamp void IIRC, and then off to a steel bolt that secures the lamp unit to the bumper and acts as connection for earth to the metal of the light unit. If you're really lucky it's the bullet connector in the headlamp void, if you're lucky a twist of the mounting bolt will dislodge enough rust to reinstate the electrical connection. The unlucky one is having to remove the bumper in order to properly disassemble and get back to good metal-metal connections.

Doc Si
Regular Poster

Post by Doc Si »

Spot on with the diagnosis ...thanks, I bypassed the earth directly to a good earth & all works fine...now just have to find the bad bit & fix it !

As a subsidiary question...anyone any ideas about removal/replacement of the indicator side repeater units?

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

Do you mean ideas of how to do it? Ideas of what you could replace them with?m Why they used such a PITA method of getting an earth there?

The first one, means removal of the bumper as far as I recall.

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

If you mean the one on the wing and its the original lucas unit, I think its just 2 screws to get lense off and I think (?) 2 more holding the base onto the wing. Mine are non standard so im thinking of my old excel so probably wrong!
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

The Lucas wing indicator is held on by two nuts on studs set into the unit, the drivers side nuts only getatable from the lotus position, and there is a panel with wiring connectors or fuses,(can't remember which), in the way behind the trim. The panel can be loosened(unbolted) but you'll still need an extra joint in your wrist. The unit will be rusted, the replacement ones are commonly made with short studs,(for metal panel) not long enough for the f/g, you could look for ones with longer studs,(they're out there), or push the stud's square head out of the unit and replace with a nut/bolt, but its a two man job to tighten. It's earthed into the loom from one of the studs. All the above was on a 82 narrow body. As ever, good luck, Jeff.