windscreen washer jets

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

windscreen washer jets

Post by shaunw »

My windscreen washer jets (or more accurately the rubber mountings directly below) have seen better days, in fact the rubber is disintergrating so I thought I'd get some new ones.

Went on to Ebay and found some that looked like they would be OK but when they arrived they are a different profile and at the back they don't cover the indent in the bonnet left by the old ones :x

I don't want to go down the flashy light up chavy route so I'm either going to have to find an exact repalcement or find some suitable material to fabricate some new rubber mounts

Does anyone know where I might get an identical set?

Does anyone know where I could buy some thin rubber? (apart from the chemist 8) )

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: windscreen washer jets

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Push bike inner tube?

I use them a lot for rubber gasket applications.
Peter K

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

Thats not a bad idea, thanks :)

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue

Post by MrCoolA »

shaunw wrote:Thats not a bad idea, thanks :)

we don't allow Peter to stay coz he's pretty you know :wink: :wink: :wink:
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

fairline38
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SA
Colour: Black
Year: 1987

Post by fairline38 »

Are the original washer jets for 87 SA still available? If not, what are the alternatives?

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

I bought some replacement jets from Halfords, they came with the rubber gaskets that fit underneath. I went for twin jet washers rather than the single ones which were fitted to the car, with a bit of careful aiming you can get the whole screen washed effectively. Just as importantly, you can still order stuff online and collect from Halfords, I was down there today!

Edit: Can't seem to see the Ring twin jet ones (RWJ4) on the Halfords website, they do have the single ones (RWJ5) though.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I Like your new avatar Bryan! 8)

Looks like it's accelerating hard! :D

PS. My Clan avatar is temporary ..I'm waiting for my son to send me a picture of my Excel when he used it for his wedding car... I sharn't hold my breath! :lol:
Peter K

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

barker_001 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 18:43
I bought some replacement jets from Halfords, they came with the rubber gaskets that fit underneath. I went for twin jet washers rather than the single ones which were fitted to the car....
That's interesting. My car has single-jet washers, yet the ones SJ Sportscars have on their website are twin-jet so I was thinking the factory-fit ones were twin-jet but, apparently, not. I would prefer twin-jet ones so the tip about Halfords having them is useful. Thanks.
What car is that?

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 19:19
Looks like it's accelerating hard! :D
Thank you Peter! It was certainly working hard - that's a steep bit of road up on the Brecon Beacons - but I don't think we were going that fast! I was out on a run with some local Lotus friends and as we went up this particular hill, the cycling part of an Ironman triathlon was taking place. The organisers had hired a photographer to capture each competitor as they went past, but when confronted with a convoy of brightly coloured Lotii he saw his opportunity and started snapping us as well! When we stopped at the top, someone managed to get the photographer's contact details, and everyone was able to download a nice hi-res photo of the their car from his website for a very reasonable price - a lucky coincidence and a proper win-win!

Trevor, the twin jets don't seem to be appearing on the Halfords website at the moment, and of course you can't get into a shop to look for them either. However, this is what they were:

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RWJ4

Note that the bonnet holes may need enlarging slightly, the thread size is bigger than the single jets that were on mine originally.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

fairline38
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SA
Colour: Black
Year: 1987

Post by fairline38 »

I bought the single washer jets from Halfords for £ 1.99 each. They fit perfectly and the spray provides full coverage of the windscreen.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Well I went down to my local Halfords (Worcester) for some ATF yesterday and, since the beginning of lockdown, it had been demolished! I then diverted to Euro Car Parts who would only serve priority workers. Fortunately there was another motor factor nextdoor who would serve me.

Richard

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

I ordered from e-Bay some washer jets designated for the XJ40 some months ago. What arrived were bog standard jets for any car.
Later I ordered some Underbody adhesive sound insulation foam, long delivery time, and a flame test showed the material was more
suited as Fire Lighters, and subsequently has been used for exactly that. Not only Coronavirus Eh!

Dave the cog.