Diff leaks

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Mr Locust
Senior Poster
Model: Excel EFI
Colour: White
Year: 1986

Diff leaks

Post by Mr Locust »

Can anybody advise if it's possible to replace the shaft seals on the diff in situ?

I need to clean off and track down further but it seems to be mainly the near side output seal which is the source of the wetness.

There seems to be a little end float in the driveshaft flanges but no discernable radial movement which would suggest a reseal should be possible.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Diff leaks

Post by AndyC »

As far as I know, you'e going to have to use something like a slide-hammer to remove the stubs, so I cannot think of a way to do that in place.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Having done side shaft seals on the bench, and not had too much trouble removing the shafts I will say it could be doable in situ. If they are going to be done then you have nothing to lose trying in situ first. The dismantle to that point will have to be done anyway to remove the diff. Seals and dust covers from toyota.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

As Bag says - the output shafts do usually come out without too much trouble. Well worth checking the diff carrier for cracks as well though - I'm with Andy - I'd take it out if you can. It's nigh-on impossible to do the front seal properly without taking it out.

Pete

Mr Locust
Senior Poster

Post by Mr Locust »

Thanks for the replies; Looking at the diff installation it seemed like there would be a fair chance if its only output seals once I investigate a bit more.

Wikepedia lists 2nd generation Celica Supra as; MA61, MA63, MA67, GA61. Any idea if they all had the same final drive unit to help with the internet searching?

Mr Locust
Senior Poster

Post by Mr Locust »

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Side seals are a piece of piss to do in situ. With the rear drive shafts disconnected the diff output shafts lever out as they are just held in with a snap ring, the old seals lever out then with a screwdriver ( or the proper seal removal tool if you are posh). The new seals can then be tapped back in carefully with the 12, 6, 3, 9 oclock routine. Dont even think about doing the nose seal in situ cos its a pain even on the bench. Another tip with the diff, make sure you can get the top-up nut undone before removing the drain for obvious reasons.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Mauro200
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Bianco
Year: 1984

Post by Mauro200 »

I'm right now waiting for the oil seals. I ordered them at the first link from Mr Locust but we sent them from Estonia and not from Germany.