NEC Classic Car & Restoration Show 27-29 March 2020

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

theelanman
Regular Poster
Model: Elite, Evora, Elan, M100
Colour: Lagoon Blue

Re: NEC Classic Car & Restoration Show 27-29 March 2020

Post by theelanman »

not wishing to make this sound wrong..........our current web master and host has done a fantastic job .........
but if Chris who runs and maintains the site has no time, the site needs up dating, it needs maintenance...etc etc....
and Chris hasn't got the time to do it but it might happen in the next 6 months and he's having to pay for it.......
then is this not an ideal time to move it to somewhere where the hosting is free and everything is up to date
should the person that looks after the site be someone with less stress and more time on their hands?......

just a thought as it seems we are stuck paying out.....and without time to keep on top of the site

theelanman
Regular Poster

Post by theelanman »

re-free hosting......

If this site is on a cPanel server, it takes about 5 minutes! As TLF are on a dedicated server they have the level above cPanel which is WHM (web host manager) and it has a transfer tool built in. If not, then it needs to be a back up and restoration, which takes about an hour!

Once it's all moved over and tested to make sure it's all working, change the DNS records to point to the new server address and that's it, job done!

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

theelanman wrote:re-free hosting......

If this site is on a cPanel server, it takes about 5 minutes! As TLF are on a dedicated server they have the level above cPanel which is WHM (web host manager) and it has a transfer tool built in. If not, then it needs to be a back up and restoration, which takes about an hour!

Once it's all moved over and tested to make sure it's all working, change the DNS records to point to the new server address and that's it, job done!
Gareth, you seem to know a fair bit about this. I'm sending you a pm with some questions.

Cheers, Richard

theelanman
Regular Poster

Post by theelanman »

ok

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:mrgreen:

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Johnwindwood wrote:
richardw wrote: Given the relatively lukewarm interest in the show (with apologies to those who have volunteered their cars) it is probably wise not to attend this year.
Whilst I appreciate the reasons for this Richard, I should warn you that it will be difficult to get back in in the future if we withdraw at this stage.
The club lotus Staffordshire branch get asked to attend every year but I always say no as I can't get members to do practical things with their cars. Alison Judge says she is trying to grow the Practical classic show to the same size as the November Classic show which is over subscribed. So unless she has achieved her goal now we should be able to get back in - fingers crossed :)
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

richardw

Post by richardw »

Tanz wrote:
Johnwindwood wrote:
richardw wrote: Given the relatively lukewarm interest in the show (with apologies to those who have volunteered their cars) it is probably wise not to attend this year.
Whilst I appreciate the reasons for this Richard, I should warn you that it will be difficult to get back in in the future if we withdraw at this stage.
The club lotus Staffordshire branch get asked to attend every year but I always say no as I can't get members to do practical things with their cars. Alison Judge says she is trying to grow the Practical classic show to the same size as the November Classic show which is over subscribed. So unless she has achieved her goal now we should be able to get back in - fingers crossed :)
Thanks for the feedback Phil - thats very useful to know.

Cheers, Richard

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

As you know car clubs get into the show free but this depends on both commercial stand sales and ticket sales.
In 2019 the show used all of halls 3, 4 and 5. This year it is only using part of Hall 3, a significant reduction in space.
For the car club presence to grow it will depend on the rest of the show growing.
We live in hope.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

richardw

Post by richardw »

alanmoss wrote:As you know car clubs get into the show free but this depends on both commercial stand sales and ticket sales.
In 2019 the show used all of halls 3, 4 and 5. This year it is only using part of Hall 3, a significant reduction in space.
For the car club presence to grow it will depend on the rest of the show growing.
We live in hope.
There isn't a floor plan yet but I looked at the exhibitor list and there appear to be stands in Halls 3,4 and 5 again this year. I agree reducing to using only part of the hall would be a shame!

Edit: when I first read your message it looked like you meant only part of Hall 3!!! :cry:

Cheers, Richard

alanmoss
Senior Poster

Post by alanmoss »

This year they only have part of Hall 3 designated 3A whereas last year they had all of Hall 3. This is quite a reduction in space.
Alan

Johnwindwood
Senior Poster
Model: 1984 Excel
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1984

Post by Johnwindwood »

richardw wrote:
alanmoss wrote:As you know car clubs get into the show free but this depends on both commercial stand sales and ticket sales.
We live in hope.
There isn't a floor plan yet but I looked at the exhibitor list and there appear to be stands in Halls 3,4 and 5 again this year. I agree reducing to using only part of the hall would be a shame!

Edit: when I first read your message it looked like you meant only part of Hall 3!!! :cry:

Cheers, Richard

I have a floor plan.
Kind regards

John

John Windwood

1984 Lotus Excel (1985 MY wide body)
1952 Austin Sheerline A125 Harold Radford Shooting Brake
1949 Austin Sheerline saloon (Parts car)
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
2002 Volvo V70XC Cross Country AWD

richardw

Post by richardw »

I was looking at going to this show (as a visitor) later this month. Currently, it is still scheduled to take place, but looking at the NEC website all the other March shows appear to have been postponed until later in the year.

I hope the event can proceeed as planned, consistent with public safety.

Richard

Johnwindwood
Senior Poster
Model: 1984 Excel
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1984

Post by Johnwindwood »

I think it highly likely that the show will be cancelled this week with possible restrictions on large events. Even if it does go ahead, many clubs and traders have pulled out on health and safety grounds.
Kind regards

John

John Windwood

1984 Lotus Excel (1985 MY wide body)
1952 Austin Sheerline A125 Harold Radford Shooting Brake
1949 Austin Sheerline saloon (Parts car)
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
2002 Volvo V70XC Cross Country AWD

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

News Just In - the show is officially postponed. They are searching with the NEC to find a new date. Tickets already purchased will be valid for the new date (they don't say anything about a refund option).

Depending if/when it's re-scheduled for, and if we decide to go along after all, I've now got a gearbox rebuild project that could make a good activity!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

alanmoss
Senior Poster

Post by alanmoss »

Clarion Events have said that the existing traders/clubs/features will be automatically included, so unless they have anyone drop out of the rearranged event, or they expand it, there will not be any opportunities.
Alan

richardw

Post by richardw »

Just had an email - rescheduled for 7-9 August.

Fingers crossed!