Anti theft

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Anti theft

Post by pistolpete »

Hi,
SO after a few cars have been stolen locally I was thinking about making my cars a little more tricky to nick. The immobiliser on the key fob I have always thought was a stupid idea . As most of the time they break into your house and nick your keys first.
SO when I was a young guy ,I built a westfield 7 SE and I was very pleased with myself when I wired the fuel pump to a switch I hid under the seat, so anyone taking the car would get about 100m down the road before it just stopped. for no apparent reason.
SO clearly it would be a difficult thing to post on the internet about your own ideas, but any advances over mine all those years ago would be gratefully received. Would also be good to get the family estates done too as that has a key fob alarm as well.

Cheers

Pete

Johnwindwood
Senior Poster
Model: 1984 Excel
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1984

Re: Anti theft

Post by Johnwindwood »

Ours has a Disklok steering wheel lock. Almost impossible to remove and very simple.
Kind regards

John

John Windwood

1984 Lotus Excel (1985 MY wide body)
1952 Austin Sheerline A125 Harold Radford Shooting Brake
1949 Austin Sheerline saloon (Parts car)
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
2002 Volvo V70XC Cross Country AWD

Doc Si
Regular Poster
Model: 86 SE
Colour: RED
Year: 1986

Post by Doc Si »

I once had an old MG which had a concealed switch that earthed the coil. Try to start it with the key, all the electrics work, but the b....y thing won't star, thief thinks it's just a knackered old car.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

If you look at the bottom of this very useful info sheet on relays there is a hidden switch method involving two relays and a push switch that looks interesting.
https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I can turn my distributor off. Needs correct app and a PIN number to turn it back on. Engine starts and runs for a few seconds and then cuts out for no apparent reason.

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

bash wrote:If you look at the bottom of this very useful info sheet on relays there is a hidden switch method involving two relays and a push switch that looks interesting.
https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

Bash
Very cool compilation. Thank you
ImageImageImageImageImage

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

I've used a "Dis-carnect" for years. Just remove (and pocket) the thumbscrew from the battery terminal and the car is dead until you replace it.
John L.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I leave mine on the drive unlocked. If they can start it I'd be very grateful. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :roll:
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

lambert.john wrote:I've used a "Dis-carnect" for years. Just remove (and pocket) the thumbscrew from the battery terminal and the car is dead until you replace it.
Same here.
Great for stopping battery discharge when garaged too.
Peter K

Mr E
Regular Poster

Post by Mr E »

Dis-carnect for me, with every MOT (APK in Dutch) the garage calls me to tell me that the *&^&%^$$@$ car is dead and MOT is not possible
Santos Travelmaster 2006
Triumph sprint 1997
Dnepr (with sidecar) 1991
Lotus Excel 1986
Triumph Spitfire 1977
Triumph TR6R 1973 (the bike, not the car)

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Installing a time delay on a fuel pump off switch ensures the car is not wrecked by an irate would-be thief.
The time delay is set to allow engine start and cuts out after say one minute, by which time the thief has moved the car which is left in a conspicuous position, hence no wrecking and you the owner is contacted.
If you simply install a switch to cut the fuel pump off the engine will not start, who knows what the thief will do to try and start it?

Dave the cog.

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by pistolpete »

I do like the delay on the fuel pump, I see you can get delayed relays, but how do you not get them to not cut off, when your driving.
SO my old switch did work I assume it ran until the petrol in the carb ran out.

igg-hiss
Senior Poster

Post by igg-hiss »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
lambert.john wrote:I've used a "Dis-carnect" for years. Just remove (and pocket) the thumbscrew from the battery terminal and the car is dead until you replace it.
Same here.

the contact area of this system is relatively small and corrosion is so problematic, sometimes the bleeding thing will not even let the owner of the the vehicle drive it. Yes I use one too..... if i cant drive it then neither can any one else!
The Lotus Eclat, a lot like the English Whisky company: comes from Norfolk and better than you are often told it is.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

igg-hiss wrote:
Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Same here.

the contact area of this system is relatively small and corrosion is so problematic, sometimes the bleeding thing will not even let the owner of the the vehicle drive it. Yes I use one too..... if i cant drive it then neither can any one else!
Sorry to hear.

Is your battery exposed to the elements in the engine compartment?

Mines in the boot and everything is dry and looks like new...so no problems to report ...100% reliable for ten years at least. I've never use terminal grease it is all very corrosion-free. I don't have to screw it down that tightly either.
Peter K

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

For Pistolpete.
I admit I have never tried to start an Excel engine, cold or hot, with the fuel pump electrics disconnected.
Starting depends on how much fuel remains in the fuel wells. It is easy to find out how far the car goes.
Previously on engine driven mechanical fuel pumps we used to put a mechanical/hand stop tap in the fuel line, such as a motorbike tank tap, and the car would start and run for about 100 yards.
This can be done on the Excel as the fuel pump is Low Pressure and actually stops pumping when the required fuel pressure is reached.

For electrical disconnecting with time relay I am working out how to connect a normally on relay without a slow battery discharge over long periods.

Dave the cog.