Which Oil filter

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Re: Which Oil filter

Post by CHRISYD »

mine is 20/50, so perhaps if the K&N filter has perhaps thicker or more "filter material" its takes longer for the oil tp get in and out of the filter?
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

The filtration material of the k&n filter is a resin impregnated filter. The filtration of this type of material is meant to go down to a smaller micron of filtration in comparison to a standard filter.

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

fueltheburn wrote:The filtration material of the k&n filter is a resin impregnated filter. The filtration of this type of material is meant to go down to a smaller micron of filtration in comparison to a standard filter.
That lot went straight over my head :oops: :lol: does that mean that the oil will take longer to get in and out when cold?
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

marky
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: white

Post by marky »

I have just fitted one of the K&N filters but won't know how long it takes to pressure up till I start from cold on Sunday - will let you know. My old Lotus filter used to take about 3-4 secs.

Mark.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

CHRISYD wrote:
fueltheburn wrote:The filtration material of the k&n filter is a resin impregnated filter. The filtration of this type of material is meant to go down to a smaller micron of filtration in comparison to a standard filter.
That lot went straight over my head :oops: :lol: does that mean that the oil will take longer to get in and out when cold?
That would depend on the surface area, I seem to recall people comparing filters, the ability to filter out particles, amount of filtration media etc, and the K&N came out quite well.

marky
Senior Poster
Colour: white

Post by marky »

K&N filter seems very good - good oil pressure and comes up in just under 3 secs from cold - I'm happy with that.

Mark.

plus2s
Verified Poster
Colour: Blue Steel
Year: 1988

Post by plus2s »

I am using Fram TG43

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

I fitted the K&N filter and my oil pressure rises in about 2 seconds form cold. Thats the fastest ive seen by some margin. Well worth a couple of quid more imho.

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue

Post by lambert.john »

Mr Locust wrote:Important update: Halfords have changed the design and/or supplier of the HOF202 filter which I have used for the last 4 years (after they originally looked it up on their computer system as their recommended type). The thread of the revised design is more recessed away from the seal face and it would not even engage onto the thread protruding from the cooler sandwich plate housing on my engine.
It is this type of information which makes this site so invaluable! I, too, have used the Halfords HOF 202 filter for several years. It's a pity that this option is no longer (without modification) but better to find out BEFORE one has drained the sump! I have found that th Mann 916 filter is available from Europarts and can be ordered online. I understand this filter is also recommended for the MGB so supplies are unlikely to dry up.
John L.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

lambert.john wrote:
Mr Locust wrote:Important update: Halfords have changed the design and/or supplier of the HOF202 filter which I have used for the last 4 years (after they originally looked it up on their computer system as their recommended type). The thread of the revised design is more recessed away from the seal face and it would not even engage onto the thread protruding from the cooler sandwich plate housing on my engine.
It is this type of information which makes this site so invaluable! I, too, have used the Halfords HOF 202 filter for several years. It's a pity that this option is no longer (without modification) but better to find out BEFORE one has drained the sump! I have found that th Mann 916 filter is available from Europarts and can be ordered online. I understand this filter is also recommended for the MGB so supplies are unlikely to dry up.
The threading portion of the cooler plates sandwich is adjustable and can be moved out to extend the threads and allows the fitment of the alternate oil filter
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

wrxseeker
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Ice Blue A33
Year: 1984

Post by wrxseeker »

After searching oil filters this seems to be the most up to date thread.

Am I right in saying Mann W916/1 or K&N HP-2004 seem to be the recommended manufacturers and part numbers please ?
Darren

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Right so far not mentioned is the Coopers FIAAM FT5916

Anyone tried this?

Replacement for C907E6000N but mine should be B907E6000W

Have I got an Esprit filter?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Esprit2
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Esprit2 »

Hawaiis0 wrote:(Snip)... Replacement for C907E6000N but mine should be B907E6000W.
Have I got an Esprit filter?
The Bosch fuel injected 910 (which was not sold in the UK or Europe) was a little more congested in that area, and required a shorter threaded spigot for the filter. In order to maintain sufficient thread engagement on the short spigot, and to prevent the filter from backing off, a revised 'B-prefix' filter with a more rounded/ extended front face was specified. Using an 'A-prefix' filter on a 'B-prefix' Bosch engine was asking for trouble with the filter backing off.

B-prefix filters were okay on older A-prefix engines, but A-prefix filters were risky on B-prefix engines. A B-prefix filter would be fine on an Excel's 912.

All that A/B stuff just caused confusion, so a little later Lotus came out with the 'C-prefix' filter which was compatible with all 9XX engines, and the A & B prefix filters were discontinued. If you buy Lotus branded filters, you can't get the A or B anymore.

Regards,
Tim Engel

soldave
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat
Colour: Yellow
Year: 1979

Post by soldave »

Bringing this thread back from the grave!

Is the Mann W916/1 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-1-8-Mann ... 3212131745) oil filter still regarded as a decent one to get?

NickC
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by NickC »

soldave wrote:Bringing this thread back from the grave!

Is the Mann W916/1 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-1-8-Mann ... 3212131745) oil filter still regarded as a decent one to get?
Preferable is Mahle OC141, failing that try the Halfords HOF202 but might need to reverse the thread to make it fit.

Not sure that the Mann W916 has the required Clean-side anti-drain valve but at that price you could try it anyway.