Very early Excel photo

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Very early Excel photo

Post by KevW »

This is a page from "Lotus The Legend". I wouldn't mind betting it's Brian's car - what do you think Brian ? The rear bumper looks like it's been added photographically.

Kev W no.282

MikeC
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat-Excel
Colour: Silver
Year: 1983

Re: Very early Excel photo

Post by MikeC »

KevW wrote:This is a page from "Lotus The Legend". I wouldn't mind betting it's Brian's car - what do you think Brian ? The rear bumper looks like it's been added photographically.

That photo is from the shoot for first brochure. It has this red car and another yellow one, both with body-coloured mirrors and grey wheels, neither of which got to production.

Wherever thought that grey bumpers and sills looked good with red and yellow should have been shot. Fantastic with silver of light blue though.

Mike

muphy
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel
Colour: Jupiter Red
Year: 1985

Post by muphy »

I've seen Brian's car in the flesh (as it were) and I gotta say that I think the bumpers really work.

Personal choice I guess.

M
Restoration Blog: http://stoneyexcel.blogspot.co.uk/
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoneyexcel/

Serial No: 1661
Built: 02/11/84

B. Swankie
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE Excel
Colour: Both Red
Year: 1986

Post by B. Swankie »

The photo is certainly the one that use as evidence when ever I get any disputes about what is right or wrong with my car (it does usually settle any differences of opinion).The bumper colour is correct as I found this underneath the red in the joins between sills and body when restoring the car.
Brian Swankie.

johnthebass
Senior Poster
Colour: Gold
Year: 1990

Post by johnthebass »

Curious to read the script underneath the photo which states that total production was 1327! As I understood it the production was 2149 or thereabouts. Does the higher figure reflect Eclats as well? If that's the case then our SE's are rarer than one would have thought! Any ideas?
John.

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

Bazzer25
Junior Poster
Model: Eclat Excel

Post by Bazzer25 »

Really good to see a photo of an early Excel, I have a silver 83 car that has both Eclat and Excel logo's on the bodywork and is registered as an Eclat on the V5. It doesn't have a spoiler, has body coloured bumpers, gold (ish) 14" wheels (same as the red one above) and has black pinstripes just above the black body trim, is this how it would have left the factory? :?:

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

For me the early cars are the best looking, the grey sills/bumpers lighten the shape to a slimmer profile, and the sleek body is devoid of spoilers and grandad mudflaps.

Must say I'm glad they went with silver wheels though.

Shame so few other people share this opinion, can you believe the red car above went unsold at £1800?
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

Out of interest, there seemed to be rather a lot of pre-production prototypes between the Eclat S1 and S2 morphing into the Excel featuring a mixture of old and new components like chassis, diffs, interiors and wheels. At least 3 have come to light recently or been sold, one was a 2 tone silver car which I was convinced was an owner updated bitsa-special;

.....until the designers proposal sketch came up on Ebay :shock: (it now sits in my dining room thanks to the generosity of a club member)

Then came a blue car which had been kept for decades by a Lotus engineer even after he defected to Jaguar and the XJ220 programme;

Now it seems another gold car has been literally unearthed;

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/ ... oject.html

Again it could be accused of being an owner lash-up were it not for a set of prototype wheels worn by a pre-prod Excel in this very rare photograph

I'm still trying to identify these, they look like Pontiac Fiero items, but the GM link hadn't kicked in yet so wonder if they are an early Toyota wheel? They may have been an attempt to distance the car from the 70s-style iron-cross speedlines that eventually returned.
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

G848ECF
Verified Poster

Post by G848ECF »

Bazzer25 wrote:... I have a silver 83 car that has both Eclat and Excel logo's on the bodywork and is registered as an Eclat on the V5....
I am fairly sure that all Excels appear as Eclats on their V5s, because, it is said, Lotus wanted to save a few quid on a new type approval. This sounds very Lotusy.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

G848ECF wrote:
Bazzer25 wrote:... I have a silver 83 car that has both Eclat and Excel logo's on the bodywork and is registered as an Eclat on the V5....
I am fairly sure that all Excels appear as Eclats on their V5s, because, it is said, Lotus wanted to save a few quid on a new type approval. This sounds very Lotusy.
Indeed they did (as Eclat Excels), but one or two owners have persuaded DVLA to change them to just "Excel".
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

MikeC
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat-Excel

Post by MikeC »

Bazzer25 wrote:I have a silver 83 car that has both Eclat and Excel logo's on the bodywork and is registered as an Eclat on the V5. It doesn't have a spoiler, has body coloured bumpers, gold (ish) 14" wheels (same as the red one above) and has black pinstripes just above the black body trim, is this how it would have left the factory? :?:
The 82 and early 83 cars had "excel" on the rear sides, "lotus éclat" on the back, and just "éclat" on the nose. Mid-83 the éclat was dropped from the decals and was replaced by "excel". The bumpers and sills would have been grey and the wheels silver. Only one pinstripe is correct, the 1984 cars (with the Toyota wheels) have a double stripe.

Mike

Redexcel
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Redexcel »

amarshall wrote:
G848ECF wrote:
Indeed they did (as Eclat Excels), but one or two owners have persuaded DVLA to change them to just "Excel".
Mine just said Ecat. I wrote to DVLA, and they changed it to Eclat Excel when I explained that the Excel was a sub-model of the Eclat, and it may cause problems with selling the car on if the V5 and the car had different names. They changed it without quibble.
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel