Which Oil filter

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

NickC
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Re: Which Oil filter

Post by NickC »

i just found one........................http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories[/quote]

Thanks Jerry but it was the Mann W920/21 for which we were looking for a supplier. I have a source for the Fram PH2857A now but would still like to get hold of a Mann one if I can find one.

As per chrisw's suggestion I have now confirmed that Central Auto Supplies supply the Mann filter but my nearest branch is in Colchester and they don't do mail order. Bit of a trek from Romford just to buy an oil filter.

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Any opinions on Mahle filters? After all they did make the pistons and liners.

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

Have not tried one but they are readily available via the Europarts network, under the Bosch brand name. One is listed for the Excel on Europarts website.
John L.

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Lots of decent alternatives now found but no idea which one is likely to be the best:

Baldwin - B163
Cummings (Fleetguard) - LF3400
Mahle - OC23 (not sure if this is same as the Mahle/Bosch 501590050 sold by Europarts)
Purolator - PL14670
UFI - 23.127.02

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Further info now obtained:

Because of being mounted horizontally Lotus 912 engines require an anti drain-back Standpipe, rather than just an anti drain-back valve.

Baldwin
B163 - No anti drain-back Standpipe, Baldwin cannot identify any suitable filter with Standpipe.
Cummings (Fleetguard)
LF3400 - No phone numbers available for Cummings so cannot ask technical dept. However Cummings suppliers do not consider it likely that this filter will have the required anti drain-back Standpipe
Mahle
OC23 - No anti drain-back Standpipe.
However Mahle have identified an alternative filter which does have Clean-side anti-drain, rather than just Inlet-side anti-drain. They are sending a sample of this filter.
Purolator
PL14670 - No UK contact details so cannot ask technical dept
UFI
23.127.02 - No anti drain-back Standpipe, UFI cannot identify any suitable filter with Standpipe.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

NickC wrote:i just found one........................http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories
NickC wrote:Thanks Jerry but it was the Mann W920/21 for which we were looking for a supplier. I have a source for the Fram PH2857A now but would still like to get hold of a Mann one if I can find one.

As per chrisw's suggestion I have now confirmed that Central Auto Supplies supply the Mann filter but my nearest branch is in Colchester and they don't do mail order. Bit of a trek from Romford just to buy an oil filter.

Reading never my strong point................... :oops: :oops:
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

johnthebass
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Gold
Year: 1990

Post by johnthebass »

Just coming up to a service befoire winter sets in and will be changing the oil and filter amongst all the other usual bits and pieces. I too like lambert.john came across the Halfords HOF202 filter. Has anyone used this filter? Is it fit for purpose? It seems to tick all the correct boxes!
John.

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

johnthebass wrote:Just coming up to a service befoire winter sets in and will be changing the oil and filter amongst all the other usual bits and pieces. I too like lambert.john came across the Halfords HOF202 filter. Has anyone used this filter? Is it fit for purpose? It seems to tick all the correct boxes!
John.
If you do try one John could you let us know how long you get at startup to oil pressure with this filter.

Thanks,
Nick

johnthebass
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Gold

Post by johnthebass »

Will do Nick! It will probably be towards the end of next week depending on me getting over to Millers for some decent oil and just when my "spanner-man" has a slot on his ramp!
John.

lambert.john
Senior Poster

Post by lambert.john »

In the interests of research I purchased a Halfords HOF 202 filter (£4.45) and disassembled it; I also disassembled my "old" Lotus filter to compare. I found that the Halfords filter had one non-return valve, at the base of the filter, but the Lotus filter had TWO - one top, one bottom. But, interestingly, the Halfords filter included a plastic cylinder, presumably to help direct and control the flow of oil through the filter, which the Lotus filter did not have.

I then turned my attention to the "new" Lotus filter which my mechanic rejected as being too long (that is, without removing and repositioning the distributor). When I disassembled this I found that this had only ONE non-return valve, at the base of the filter, like the Halfords. Indeed, unlike the "old" Lotus filter, it was very similar in construction to the Halfords filter, except for, again, the lack of the plastic cylinder.

The Halfords paper element was significantly shorter than that in, not only the "new" Lotus filter, but also the "old" Lotus filter, because of the rather different construction. I suppose this might lead to earlier clogging, but overall I was quite impressed with the quality of the Halfords filter. It was not an obviously inferior product.

I have taken some photos of the three filters in the various stages of disassembly, but have yet to work out how to download them onto this site!

The Motorcraft filter which my mechanic eventually fitted to my car seems to be working well.
John L.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

lambert.john wrote: I have taken some photos of the three filters in the various stages of disassembly, but have yet to work out how to download them onto this site!
How to use photos in your posts : http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtop ... =16&t=1639
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

lambert.john
Senior Poster

Post by lambert.john »

I have now attempted to download some of the pictures I took of the three oil filters, disassembled; I hope they are self-explanatory!

ImageImage
John L.

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Mahle filter now fitted and engine filed with Millers CFS 10w60. Oil pressure now starts to build in around 2 secs, this is the quickest I have seen it for a number of years so will be sticking with these in future.

Note: this is a Mahle OC141, _not_ the OC23 as listed for the Esprit/Excel. The OC141 has a Clean-side anti-drain valve which the OC23 does not.

Rgds,
Nick

crs_20
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Silver
Year: 1983

Post by crs_20 »

Hi Nick are you still happy with the Mahle filter? I damaged the last Lotus filter when fitting it due to the poor clearance. I tried the Fram filter a couple of years ago but the oil pressure took an extra 2-3 seconds on start up so thought I would try the Mahle instead.

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Hi crs_20,

Yes more than happy with the Mahle OC141, I don't even notice the oil pressure start-up lag any more. If I do remember to look it is maybe 2-3 seconds which is still the fastest I have ever seen it.