Which Oil filter

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

NickC
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Which Oil filter

Post by NickC »

What are current opinions on which oil filter is best and gives quickest oil pressure from cold?

I have just tried a Wix which I hoped would have an anti-drainback valve but start-up oil pressure now takes around 6-7secs. With the Fram which I have just taken off this was down to 4secs. Way back in the past I recall a Genuine Lotus filter that seemed to take almost 10secs to build pressure. I recall someone mentioning a Perflux filter being good but these do not seem to be available in the UK.

What does everyone else use, which gives quickest pressure from cold?

ttedj
Senior Poster
Model: excel se
Colour: vulcan grey
Year: 1989

Re: Which Oil filter

Post by ttedj »

I have a fram and it takes about 2 secs to build. Same as the origonal Lotus that I replaced it with. Seem to remember that slow to build oil pressure could be from a damaged olive where the pick up pipe joins the block in the sump??

Ted
1989 Lotus Excel
1974 MG Midget
2006 AUDI A4 3.0 Tdi quattro
2008 VW TIGUAN (wife's)
2 Black cats

RRHANS
Senior Poster
Model: EXCEL SE
Colour: CALYPSO RED
Year: 1986

Post by RRHANS »

About 4 seconds with oem lotus filter and new oil pickup olive, new distributor shaft seal installed, small hole inside oilpump is also clear :cry:
Hans

Lotus Excel SE full leather, aircon, 16" Konig rewind, twin 104 cam's
Triumph TR6 CR 11/1, fast road 89, roller rockers, pulse header, Overdrive
Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet 3.2 quatrovalvole
Range Rover Sport HSE luxury
Mini clubman Hampton

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

ttedj which Fram filter have you used, is it the PH16 as I tried before or is there a different better suited Fram model?
ttedj wrote:I have a fram and it takes about 2 secs to build. Same as the origonal Lotus that I replaced it with. Seem to remember that slow to build oil pressure could be from a damaged olive where the pick up pipe joins the block in the sump??

Ted

ttedj
Senior Poster

Post by ttedj »

Will have a look tonight. Was supplied by SJ Sportscars.

Ted
1989 Lotus Excel
1974 MG Midget
2008 VW TIGUAN (wife's)
2 Black cats

ttedj
Senior Poster

Post by ttedj »

PH2857A. Not sure if it has an anti drain valve or not but works well with oil pressure up in under 2 seconds. It also fits without having to move the dizzy.

Ted
1989 Lotus Excel
1974 MG Midget
2008 VW TIGUAN (wife's)
2 Black cats

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Thanks Ted, was about to try a PH2857A... but

Just spoken to Fram to see what if any difference between them and apart from slightly different dimensions the PH16 & PH2857A are identical with the same anti-drainback valve in both. I recall from when I tried a PH16 that it was ok but still around 4 seconds to pressure.

A search for "PH2857A & anti-drainback" finds an MGB forum suggesting that the anti-drainback valve in the Fram PH range is pretty poor. Mann W917 is suggested as a better alternative.

Looking up the Mann website suggests a W920/21 is the correct filter for the Excel/Esprit, not the W917. It appears the W917 has a thread of M20x1.5 as opposed to the correct 3/4-16 UNF of the W920/21.

So conclusion is I think I will try a Mann W920/21 if I can get hold of one, failing that will go with the Fram PH2857A.

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by chrisw2811 »

I use Fram PH2857A and have previously used the Mann filter - couldn't detect any difference in the time (2-3 seconds) for the oil pressure to rise to max.
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

Chris, as a matter of interest where did you obtain your Mann filter from? No one I speak to seems to stock Mann filters.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue

Post by MrCoolA »

NickC wrote:Chris, as a matter of interest where did you obtain your Mann filter from? No one I speak to seems to stock Mann filters.
try Ebay
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by chrisw2811 »

NickC wrote:Chris, as a matter of interest where did you obtain your Mann filter from? No one I speak to seems to stock Mann filters.
Before I moved to Southampton I bought a lot of my automotive parts from the excellent Central Auto Supplies in Wellingborough - they stocked Mann, Fram and several other brands. My local motor factor is now MayDay Autospares, who are also very good and stock Fram (amongst other brands).
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

Idly browsing, I logged onto Halfords website and, on their "Find your Oil Filter" page, keyed in my Excel's details. It came up with a Halfords HOF 202 filter. I wouldn't normally consider a Halfords filter but, browsing again, this time on Honest John's (the Telegraph's motoring guru) website, found the following entry, supposedly from Halford's HO.

[Halfords oil and air filters are made by Sogefi Filtration, Europe's largest filter manufacturer. Sogefi have factories all over Europe and own several of the top brands sold in the UK, including Fram, Coopers and Crosland. They are OE to most vehicle manufacturers in Europe. A Halfords filter in most cases will be identical to the OE, e.g. a Ford oil filter, and identical apart from the colour. Moreover, no filter manufacturer makes every single filter they sell. Much intertrading is done as it is just not economical to tool up for all filters].

Elsewhere on the site it states that the Halfords filter does come with the non-return valve.

I may have to try one now that the Lotus replacement filter no longer fits!

John
John L.

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

MrCoolA wrote:
try Ebay
Unfortunately tried that none in the UK.

NickC
Senior Poster

Post by NickC »

How interesting this is becoming.

Well I have now found someone who can get a Fram PH2857A for me so was just about to order one when lambert.john introduced the Halfords info. So it appears that Halfords use Sogefi to make their own brand filters. I recall a previous thread where kent_racer suggested that a Purflux LS149 gives immediate oil pressure, I have also read elsewhere that Purflux are one of the best filter brands available.

Further investigation suggests that Purflux is a division of Sogefi Filter Division. So does that mean that Halfords are selling a Purflux LS149 as an own brand Halfords HOF-202? Well maybe, maybe not; it appears that Sogefi own Fram, Purflux, Coopers & Crosland.

So which one do Sogefi supply to Halfords? Well to answer that I have now spoken to Sogefi. In the UK they suggest a Fram PH2857A as that has a drain-back tube as well as an anti-drain valve, Halfords would stock an equivalent. Apparently all of their brands are virtually the same now, no difference in the internal quality of components or filtration material across the whole range.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue

Post by MrCoolA »

NickC wrote:
MrCoolA wrote:
try Ebay
Unfortunately tried that none in the UK.

i just found one........................http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.