Camshaft seal to head

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

doulou
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1990

Camshaft seal to head

Post by doulou »

Hi gent's long time no talk, I knew it was to good to be true. I have an oil leak coming from the Cam shaft casing that fitted to the head, two questions if poss

1 - How easy is this to do bearing in mind I'm not a mechanic?
2 - Is it worth changing my cams at the same time to a differant profile to increase performance, if so what cams do you suggest.

Thanks in anticipation

Paul - (Doulou)

mds666
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by mds666 »

1. bearing?...
2. cams... stick a pair of L14's in and you will find she is much revvier (if thats a word...) L14 is similar to the 104 profile on the inlet of a normal HC stamped 4444444 just make sure your revv limiter is connected...

doulou
Regular Poster

Post by doulou »

Thanks Guys, The leak is not from the cam covers but from the housing that the cam is in ,that in turn fits to the cylinder head. I will call Mike or Mark and ask there advice - many thanks

Paul

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Unless it a big problem Id leave the leak. Unfortunately they sometimes leak onto the exhaust, which stinks and is a fire risk. Or, fills up the spark plug wells. The problem is that the camshaft housing doesnt have proper gasket between that and the head, anorobic sealant is used ( I thinks thats the proper word ! ). The other problem is that the housing is held down by a series of thin bolts and cack handed mechanics tighen them up too much and the threads strip, starting a leak. If thats the case they will need helicoiling. You will need a new cambelt and tensioner bearing, and the rocker cover and posibly front cam bearing oil seal. If you are unlucky, and the helicoiling cant be done in situ, the head might have to come off with all the associated expense.....hence, if you can put up with it, leave it alone cos it it could be expensive if you are not doing it yourself ! If its the spark plug wells that filling, buy a large shringe and empty them every so often !!

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

nigelrobertson
Regular Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Pearlescent White
Year: 1989

Post by nigelrobertson »

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

USA, what about the UK?

Post by AndyC »

I agree with the idea of not using original style fibre gaskets for the cam covers, I use cork ones. Pity those rubber ones aren't stocked over here yet.

Unfortunately they're the wrong ones for this leak though.

mds666
Senior Poster

Post by mds666 »

thats only for the lids not the carrier housing to head... and thats no good for a post 86 engine... thoes rubber seals are also available here in the uk too...

mds666
Senior Poster

Post by mds666 »

you beat me to it andy!... both posted at 17.14 though...

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Re: Camshaft seal to head

Post by robertverhey »

Hi

If yours is a later model like mine (flat cam covers held by three allen screws), I'll provide an alternative view. Correct there's no gasket, and it's pretty straightforward to whip off the camboxes, especially the inlet one. It's covered in the manual. The stuff you need to seal it is this http://www.jhps.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... ry_Code=CC

If cam belt and tensioner bearing are due for change or noisy, then yes it's an opportunity to do those but not essential. Get all the timing marks right before you take anything apart, don't turn motor and re-check marks on re-assembly. All of above much easier with bonnet off.

Robert
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

doulou
Regular Poster

Post by doulou »

Thanks for all of your input, I think I will go to Mike at Lotus Bits and let him do his thing.

thanks Paul

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

The official stuff to use is permabond A136 (from memory!) ... that's pretty hard to find, and expensive when you do find it!