Eclat or Excel parts for sale.

Moderator: Board Moderators

actech
Verified Poster
Year: 0

Aussie Excel/Eclat Values $$

Post by actech »

Hi All,
Looking to buy an Eclat or Excel here in Australia.
Hard to find what they are really worth.
Can any of the boards Aussies shed some insight into what a reasonable Excel is worth down-under ?
Wish I was in the UK where they seem to go for 3-5K and lots to chose from.
I have looked at a 81 Eclat Auto that is registered but needs a restoration asking $10k but it comes with a 81 Eclat Rivera as a spares car.
Also looked at a 84 Excel for $16k, nice car, not fussed about the colour though, silver.
Does any one know of any others for sale ?

Thoughts appeciated,

Andrew.C

nigelrobertson
Regular Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Pearlescent White
Year: 1989

Post by nigelrobertson »

Hi Andrew,
remember to calculate shipping and customs duty/gst when you compare Aussie prices with the UK :shock:
My '89 cost $120K new!
Most people would recognise an Esprit-and there are a few of them around-but the Excel is a very rare sight and not particularly sought after.
Imported Cars will have suffered similar problems seen on this site regarding corrosion-not really seen on a genuine Aussie car so again you pay for what you get- $16-$26K would be my figures depending on condition.
FWIW I think the Excel is a great and practical classic car to own :D

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Agree with this, a really great car to own in Australia. Any sold down here from new are likely to be pretty good rust-wise. Mine, imported from UK needed a bit of TLC to the non-galvanised sections, eg seat belt mounts.

Some really low mile ones have changed hands here recently for around $25k. Probably $15-20k would be an average, though it depends who's after one...it's a limited market.

Importing is definitely a cheaper way and a greater selection, but possibly more work to do and less ability to examine for faults. If it's a roller, you'll be up for about $4-5000 for shipping and associated clearances. If it's not a roller, needing a container, add another $2-3000

Don't even think about buying non air-con car, in the heat it can get a bit close: the cockpit is a bit tight for bigger drivers, headroom a bit limited.

My personal preference is for later cars with the flared guards and more Toyota bits, but others prefer the original shape. If you're mechanically minded, they are a very cheap car to run. Just wish the Corty was as reliable
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

actech
Verified Poster

Post by actech »

Thanks Robert and Nigel,
maybe I should look again at the $16k one. The air-con was freezing cold and even though I am over 6 foot tall space was not an issue. It always hard to know how much they are worth when there are so few for sale.

RE importing, did you have to live overseas and own it or are they counted as being such low volume that you can import them and pay the GST ?

Cheers,
Andrew.

robertverhey wrote:Agree with this, a really great car to own in Australia. Any sold down here from new are likely to be pretty good rust-wise. Mine, imported from UK needed a bit of TLC to the non-galvanised sections, eg seat belt mounts.

Some really low mile ones have changed hands here recently for around $25k. Probably $15-20k would be an average, though it depends who's after one...it's a limited market.

Importing is definitely a cheaper way and a greater selection, but possibly more work to do and less ability to examine for faults. If it's a roller, you'll be up for about $4-5000 for shipping and associated clearances. If it's not a roller, needing a container, add another $2-3000

Don't even think about buying non air-con car, in the heat it can get a bit close: the cockpit is a bit tight for bigger drivers, headroom a bit limited.

My personal preference is for later cars with the flared guards and more Toyota bits, but others prefer the original shape. If you're mechanically minded, they are a very cheap car to run. Just wish the Corty was as reliable

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Aaah welcome to the minefield. all you need to know at http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... index.aspx

Not as daunting as it sounds, and plenty of agents willing to act on your behalf...for a fee. Or you can be an idiot like me and do it yourself....

Let me know if you decide to proceed, can relate my experiences and a very long expenses list

Robert

actech
Verified Poster

Post by actech »

hmmn ok after reading the import rules I'm thinking importing one from the UK is an option. There seem to be more to choose from and I didn't really like the 84 in silver I drove last weekend. Thinking blue, yellow, black, red or white. The white car from the 84 motor show on pistonheads is interesting.
How long did it take ?
What are the pitfalls ?
Why was yours mouldy inside ? from the shipping...
Cheers,
Andrew.

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Hello yes very mouldy, some pics at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~robert.verhey/

where I documented the restoration until I got it registered...and another distraction came off the docks!

Have answered similar questions in previous postings, have a look at
http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtop ... highlight=

and

http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtop ... highlight=

Have a browse and happy to answer any further questions. The laws have changed since I did it, I think it's easier now....

Robert

P34Fan
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1983

Aussie Excel/Eclat Values $$

Post by P34Fan »

Hi Andrew,
I agree with the previous comments re costs.
I've inserted an ad from the Club Lotus Australia website.
For Sale: Lotus Excel, 1984 model, imported to Australia in 1988. Caluso Red with beige leather interior. Full history,
with Service & Spare Parts manuals and original Owner’s Manual. 160hp quad cam, four valve Lotus engine. New valves,
tappets, suspension bushes and ball joints. Fresh tyres. Immobilizer. Very good condition. Lovingly cared for with many
new parts. YAL 54P. Canberra.
Phone 0412 633 194 or email wwardmannetspeed.com.au for pictures or further information.

If you do decide to import a car and opt for using a container would you be interested in sharing some space, I've got some bits for my race car sitting in the UK.

Regards
Ken

actech
Verified Poster

Re: Aussie Excel/Eclat Values $$

Post by actech »

Hi Ken,

I called the Canberra advert because I like that colour combo but its sold.
There is a similar advert on the Qld Lotus site for 2 x Eclats that is 2 YEARS old but they are still for sale. Having seen them he is asking too much. He brought them home with him from HK. The road car is a S2.2 auto and is pretty rough inside and out. It needs a re-trim inside and paint outside and a lot of tidying. The headlight lift mechanism has been removed too. The spares car is also a S2.2 Eclat auto but it s a black/gold (JPS ?) Riveria with a small LH front crash damage. A lot of work, years I would think. He wants $10k for both. Pity as that early shape is very pretty and has the galzanised chassis but not the Toyota mechanicals.

My brother in law is a car dealer and lectured me against importing from anywhere site un seen. But then offered a mate in the UK to look at one for me. I purchased a E34 BMW from Adelaide un seen but I had a full AA report done and it sailed through. I would rather buy a local car but the idea of a later than 84 model appeals as does the colour choice on offer in the UK. I have mainly being looking at pistonheads.co.uk but there don't seem to be many or any with aircon.
As I plan to keep this toy for quite some time I think getting the right colour combo is important.
Roll on roll off is a lot cheaper than containers unfortunately but I will keep you in mind.
Decisions decisions.

Andrew.

actech
Verified Poster

Post by actech »

Hi,
Was the interior already mouldy or did it go mouldy after being steam cleaned in the UK ?

Andrew.

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Yes it was mouldy on arrival. No steam cleaning in UK, countries aren't too fussy about exporting bugs, it's at the import stage where the steam cleaning and fumigation happens.

I reckon ebay's the go. Some really good cars come up on it. It's where I got mine. If you're buying for export, there's no real benefit to buying from a dealer, and I'd actually trust an owner/seller more than a dealer. Anyway what's a warranty worth 10,000km away? Certainly there's been a few postings on this discussion group about shady dealers.....

If the container eventuates, I'm also interested

Robert