Lotus excel cassette recording

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

El torro
Regular Poster
Model: Excel se lotus elan +2
Colour: Vulcan grey
Year: 1990

Lotus excel cassette recording

Post by El torro »

My friend gave me a cassette that was free with popular classics in May 1992,it covers the sound of various models including a report on excel SE ,might be Murray walker commentary,the trouble is how to record on my dvd machine,only cassette player I have has headphones out small type socket,any suggestions welcome on how to achieve it,freed dvd on offer

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Re: Lotus excel cassette recording

Post by amarshall »

I have the kit to do it - and to clean up the recording to get rid of hiss and other unwanted background noise.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

El torro
Regular Poster

Post by El torro »

That would be great,I could post it to you with blank cd or dvd ,pm with address etc

MikeC
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat-Excel
Colour: Silver
Year: 1983

Post by MikeC »

El torro wrote:My friend gave me a cassette that was free with popular classics in May 1992,it covers the sound of various models including a report on excel SE ,might be Murray walker commentary,the trouble is how to record on my dvd machine,only cassette player I have has headphones out small type socket,any suggestions welcome on how to achieve it,freed dvd on offer
It's a standard 1983 Excel, registration XEL 633 B, driven by a bloke in a white Arran sweater if anyone has the accompanying magazine. That was me. The commentary wasn't Murray, in fact despite the excitement the commentator wasn't in the car, but I don't think the sound recordist had been driven in a Lotus before and presumably passed on his errr, amazement? I think I've got a copy somewhere on this computer, but can't find it immediately. Can't find the magazine either, so if anyone has a spare I'd happily pay for it.

It was recorded at Bruntingthorpe which has a high grip surface even on the taxiways. Each car did two runs around the circuit, for the first I used 4000 rpm for the take off but got no wheelspin at all, so for the second I used 6000 which is why the Excel gets off the mark so quickly on the recording. 6800 along the two mile runway but the wind noise is high, it might have been better to go a bit slower.

The whole thing was put together in a bit of a hurry. PC wanted an Esprit and asked Peter Day for help finding one. Peter didn't know anyone who would do it with their Esprit but knew I'd be up for it. With car at about 140,000 miles by then, and a lot of track time, we both reckoned it was as close to bullet-proof as a Lotus could be. The Porsche 911 belonged to the photographer John Colley (?).

Update: found the audio, does anyone have somewhere to upload and share about 5Mb? That's the Excel part as .mp3, the whole thing with six cars is 18Mb of .ogg file.

Mike

MikeC
Regular Poster

Post by MikeC »

MikeC wrote: Update: found the audio, does anyone have somewhere to upload and share about 5Mb? That's the Excel part as .mp3, the whole thing with six cars is 18Mb of .ogg file.
File of just the Excel part is at http://www.mikecauser.org.uk/media/medi ... /Excel.mp3

When I figure out how to use the content manager I'll neaten up the link.

Update: URL as first tryped had a couple of typos, if it didn't work for you please try the one above.

Mike

El torro
Regular Poster

Post by El torro »

That's great to hear the story behind recording,my 1990 excel SE does not sound as good as that,but I have never revved it that high I think?

MikeC
Regular Poster

Post by MikeC »

El torro wrote:That's great to hear the story behind recording,my 1990 excel SE does not sound as good as that,but I have never revved it that high I think?
My normal max on the road was 6,500, but I'd go to 6,800 on the track. Never been to the rev-limiter though, unlike my Elan M100NA which was taken to it all the time. Something that the 160bhp engine has that is not often appreciated is that the power curve is so well matched to the gear ratios, far better than any of the SEs I've driven. All helps the driveability and the trust you can have in it.

Mike