Rover V8 build log

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Rover V8 build log

Post by bash »

The dash is out, contrary to previous comments by me its not that easy, probably is once you have done one but it just a matter of working through it.
A few tips in case anyone wants to do it, mines an 86se, all of the instrument cluster and central panel with the radio need to come out first, the dash binnacle also needs to come off sprinkled with lots of swearwords because the mounting bolts are about 25mm longer than they ever needed to be. Otherwise its by the manual. Ive got a parts manual too which is a good reference. One thing that I found though is dont try and take the vent tubes off at the vents, they dont just pull off, take them off at the heater unit, where the do pull off easily.
The plastic sleeve linking the blower and the heater unit has been removed on the above.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Well done.

You can take the dash out without removing the binnacle by removing the steering wheel, and possibly wiper and indicator stalks - that’s how I did mine.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I did consider dropping the column but the pedal box nightmare put me off. The pod bolts being the correct length when Ive dealt with them should make it easy to put back together.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Nice one Bash! Loads of space :D

Pete

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Makes you start to think what other jobs need doing while the dash is out
Wiper motor and associated bits
Colour the leather in front of the windscreen - much easier with the dash out.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Know what you mean, Ive rebuilt the wiper already, my leather colour is good but Im giving it all a good feed now I can get at every seam and fold where it can split. I replaced all the relays a few months ago. All the foam in the heater box is another target.

Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

So Bash - given your new "signature" does this mean you now know the speed of the swallow?? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Slightly less than an African Swallow. New quote is from Einstein, Python to Einstein in one swift move, dont know about a Swift though
Bash
Need to find my tablets again !!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Ive roughly cut two holes for the aircon.
The top one is for the pipes into the jewelry box, the bottom one is to give clearance for the aircon unit. Just in case anyone doesnt know the bodyshell in these areas is different on an air con spec excel chassis, why Lotus went to the bother of making two different lower bodyshells I dont know. The lower hole is to square up the body at its vertical rear edge, the rearmost part is for the draintube which also requires a hole.
Christmas will stop play for a while.
Bash

Ps, in case petes comment seems odd my previous signature read, "on a mission to find the airspeed velocity of a swallow", from monty python and the holy grail.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Another thing worth pointing out from the previous image is the metal bracket at the top of the image, lotus only used the left hand hole for the non aircon cars to mount one of the blower motor bolts, the other two holes are for mounting the aircon unit...result. once Ive sorted the holes Ive cut its just a bolt in job.
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

One more picture before christmas. This is the aluminium former for the hole I made to check for clearance. I will use it for a mold later.
By the way, if anyone hasnt tried aluminium brazing yet its piss easy.
Bash

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

I usually remove the Steering Wheel to do any work behind, even changeing dash bulbs for LED´s.
But as I do not like pulling the centre boss, I simply undo the six small screws that bolt the wheel to the boss.
just a tip.

Dave the cog.

Feliz Navidades.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Hi Bash,

What Aircon parts are you using ?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

The bit under the dash is standard excel, drier is from car builder solutions, compressor is a generic one ( I know its a sandon but I will get you the model next time I go in the garage), the condensor is a parallel flow one 16.12-24m I think off the top of my head. The pipes on the bulkhead will partly be the steel ones from an excel but all the other fittings and pipes, trinary switch and extra fan are from car builder solutions.
The car builder catalogue is well worth sending for if santa as room.
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Other things Ive found out is that the control panel is toyota corolla ae86 and the underdash aircon unit is toyota corolla saloon (sedan). Today Im also going on a voyage of discovery involving getting the blower unit rear bolt back in and how far I can throw a 10mm spanner, so Ive walked away from it for the day.
Happy New year everyone.
Bash