Rover V8 build log

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Rover V8 build log

Post by bash »

Heres my rough sketch that I made so that I could figure out what fittings I needed with the ref numbers for carbuilder solutions. There is also some useful info on pipe diameters and # sizing. You would never guess that I was a draughtsman from this but if you can figure out the scrawl and crossings out its the fitting sizes thats important if you have to start from scratch.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

That's really useful Bash - good info there.

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Cheers Pete.
This is my radiator setup which with standard engine would probably utilise the standard setup. My logic is that I currently run twin fans (pre aircon) for the v8 and even though I used it in the 40 degree heatwave it never got close to overheating, the occupants did though and I didnt want to compromise the existing setup so Ive added a third fan to the front which is solely for the aircon and will be controlled by the trinary switch. I have mounted both the fan and the condenser on alloy box sections that are pop riveted to the metal top and bottom sections of the radiator. I didnt fancy the weight being carried by the copper radiator fins using the usual pull thro plastic mounting tabs. As you can see this is the biggest condensor that fits and still leaves room for the pipes.
Going to be a bit held up now because my beadlock crimping tool still hasnt been delivered....grrrr.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Let us know how you get on with the crimping tool - one is on my list as well.

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 23:00
Let us know how you get on with the crimping tool - one is on my list as well.

Pete
+1

I thought I was buying one off eBay. When it arrived, it was much smaller than it appeared on the screen. It is in fact a heavy-duty CABLE crimper, far too small to bridge, say a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hydraulic sleeve. :oops:

Also, I've been searching high and low with no success, for oil-cooler pipe unions to fit the Range Rover transmission cooler I bought as a development exercise for the Clan and maybe the Excel at a later date. Wasted a lot of money and time ordering the wrong fittings. I'm now waiting for 10 mm A/C 'o' ring type unions to arrive from China. Hopefully I can fit the M20 pipe nuts to these and get a result.

Then they'll need crimping.
Peter K

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

At £110 a pop you can both borrow mine when Ive finished with it.
Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

bash wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 14:35
Bash
Fab! :D

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bash wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 14:35
Bash
:idea: I could post the hoses to you for crimping (with a return post paid). :)

You could become The Lotus Grand Tourer's Chief Crimper! :lol:

Still waiting for the fittings from China, mind, and then they've got to fit the cooler tails.
Peter K

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I can do that if you like, or have a run to yours, if the sodding thing ever arrives.
Its similar to this but hydraulic but not at that price !!
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/air-condi ... mping-tool

Bash

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Thanks Bash, but project has stalled yet again. Chinese fittings arrived today. Wrong size! Another £15 down the drain. Fittings supplied are 8.5 mm OD not the 10 mm OD I thought I was ordering.
AliExpress Bah! :(
Peter K

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Still waiting on the tool, one word, evri, you can fill in the blanks.
On with electrics at the moment and found when refurbing the fan motors that the front bearing was noisy, its a Koyo 6200z if anyone else wants to replace thiers, only about 6 quid including postage.
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I thought I would post these to show whats inside the fittings. If you modify or make up your own solid pipes ( like me) there is no info ont web. Basically its the collar that does all the work that is squeezed on by the beadlock tool, one of which I cut off cos I needed a loose one. The ends of the solid pipe are either slightly flared or have a patterned section. The solid pipe also doesnt need a ridge to locate/seal because the collar has a small hole in it anyway. So, not much of a mystery at all after all.
Bash

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

I had a lot of fun and games when I fitted my air con. I have the serpentine belt set up, so it will be very different.

One of my first problems was understanding the pipe sizes and what No 6, 8 and 10 mean - see photo with an explanation. I recall that my donar Excel had No 6 fittings, which I am told are hard to come by in this county (we are using larger bore pipes these days) Image

The photo shows how I found space to get my compressor in. One of the many issues was how to get access to the service pipes, so I ended up having to carve a bit out of the bodywork. Another issue was that the inlet and outlet pipes were the wrong way round for my installation, so if one looks at the high pressure pipe going out to the condenser, this had to go through a 180° bend Image
Good luck with the project and I hope that you can find all the parts. Marcus

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Cheers dude. I was lucky that Pete had some original pipes and Ive cut and shut/rebent the ones across the bulkhead, the others didn't fit. My compressor is different to yours but in a similar position, I will put some photos up soon. All the pipe sizes do take a bit of thought but basically they are 1/16" sizes, so a #8 is 8 16ths or 1/2" etc. Now I have a greater understanding of it all I think I could fabricate the bit under the dash and then make all my own pipes etc. Waiting for bits is the hard bit and its holding me up now. I will post a few more pictures soon.
Bash

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Good info there, Marcus. Why is the hose fitting scene so confusing!!

I've now modified 6S M20 unions (60 degree conical metric fitting with 'o'ring') to fit my oil cooler project after failing to procure the correct aftermarket fitting from the usual sources. I had to file the 6S cone into a parallel 10 mm tube. The modified/filed 10 mm tube now takes an O ring which does the actual high-pressure sealing at the oil cooler end.

The issue now is I've made up the 3/8 inch hoses ready for crimping, but the collars supplied look too big and thick-walled to me (the oil filter block fittings are 3/8 hose to 1/2 inch BSP, btw).

Do you think the collars in the photo will crimp properly to that 3/8 hose? The steel in the collar looks much thicker than those in Bash's photo, which look like thin tin in comparison.

Sorry for hijack Bash, but I wonder if your, yet to arrive, hydraulic crimper would crush those steel 3/8 hose collars in the photo?

(for those wondering, this is an Imp competition engine for the Lotus e-Clan, not the Excel).
Peter K