Rover V8 build log

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: RV8 build

Post by bash »

Well Exhaust is on.
Image[/URL]

These are all standardish bits from Jetex. Standard 90 degree and 45 degree bends, collector and a shortened standard straight and then Ive welded a flange from the standard excel system up to the centre box / link pipe. I thought you would like to see them prior to bolting up, plus the underside of my car is nowhere near as clean as the engine bay.
Ive also been finishing off the cooling. A pair of these are going under the wheelarches.
Image[/URL]

They are from an early fat elvis mini where they are fitted to the underside of the engine as a power steering cooling fan so are designed to take alot of heat and very harsh conditions. If you look in the wheelarch area in the excel there is a triangular gap near to the exhaust manifold, the theory is that cars generally only overheat in slow conditions and its alright having good fans on the radiator but these are going to extract heat from the engine bay and eject it thro the wheelarch and are wired into the standard cooling fan circuit to come on when the rad fans do. The only mods to the car from standard are the boltholes for these fans and a very small bit of fibreglass relieving under the bonnet that I would defy someone to spot, this is so that if the fancy took me I could return the car back to standard. Im also using water wetter and de-ionised water in the cooling system.
Im just powering up the oil system on the drill, so Im not far off firing it up ( hopefully )

bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

Interesting idea with the extra cooling. Please show us the pictures of them installed :)
ImageImageImageImageImage

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Image[/URL]

You can see how mucky my wheelarch is too.

Had a bad day yesterday, ended up walking away from it cos everything I touched either broke or didnt work properly. Words were said almost constantly that began with either a 'f' or a 'b'. I wanted to turn the engine over with no plugs to check fuel leaks and sparky things. The starter motor that worked perfectly on the bench decided it wasnt going to play ball, so off that came, fortunately I had a spare in the garage, the float chambers in the 4 barrel decided to stay open and dump loads of fuel down the bores, which I found out when the fuel sprayed all over the garage from the plug holes when I cranked it over, now need to change the oil again because Im not sure how much got past the rings - not much I suspect cos thats all new but cant take the risk, after stripping the carb not much found ( cos its new ) but cleaned anyway and replaced, the bolt that Id carefully made with a hole thro for the throttle cable snapped when I tried to replace the cable, and then after making a new bolt found that the cable had started to fray. So I walked before I started throwing things as well.
Hopefully, a better day tomorrow.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Good fun modifying cars innit? :D :wink:

Better day for you tomorrow hopefully. If you need a spare pair of hands give me a call.

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

didnt have much luck the following day either, lumenition module playing hard ball this time. I will get it started soon hopefully.

Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

It'll all be worth it when you hear that sound!! 8)

Pete

amarshall
Model: SE
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

How not to do it - (warning Germanic engine at the wrong end and excessive carpentry involvement) http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... on/4538389
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Terrifying :shock:

They won't go round corners with a super-lightweight air-cooled lump in the back, let alone an engine twice the weight.

Peet

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Woohoo !!!! red letter day, fired the car up for the first time, sounds cool and not too loud. Still needs tuning to get it to run right but I had to vacate the garage after all of the paint and stuff burnt off the exhaust. A couple of weepy joints on the oil lines need a fettle too, but otherwise Im pleased, good oil pressure, no water leaks but its not been up to temperature yet so there may be other things to do.

Bash

dunc
Regular Poster
Model: 80 Eclat S2 V8, 76Eclat 520
Colour: ylw, coral

Post by dunc »

:mrgreen:

well done sir!

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

Great progress Bash; well done,
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Brilliant - good one Bash! Looking forward to seeing/hearing it.

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Cheers everybody. Im going to get the timing etc sorted today, the oil level hardly moved from the dry fill up so all my prep seems to have worked. Incidentally, I sat the oil filter upright on my bench and filled it with oil prior to fitting, an hour later I had to do it again. I left it overnight and it was about an inch further down the canister. It just goes to show how much oil is absorbed by filter elements.

Bash

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

The rover v8 is a beautiful sound. The book states 6-8 degrees at idle.
With a virtually identical setup to you Bash, I had the timing set to 6 degrees at idle which held a steady idle once warm.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Cheers, I'll give that a go.