Rover V8 build log

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Rover V8 build log

Post by bash »

Thats missed my radar, when is it on
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Sunday 26th June.

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I will check the calendar and give you a ring.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Hopefully Im not boring you with this but I thought its time for a little update. On the Winterbottom weekend I travelled together with Johns Excel and we filled up at the same time. The v8 used almost exactly the same amount of fuel as his standard car, the difference being mine doesnt need superunleaded.
This week it went for its first mot since the self learning fuel injection was fitted. Emissions were close but while on the machine three button pushes on the hand held controller got it well inside.
Bash

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Not boring at all Bash - those of us doing some similar things like to know that we aren't completely daft doing what we're doing and the end result might be good!

Interesting that the fuel consumption was similar - don't want to be doubling the size of the engine and the fuel bill :shock:

Neil

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

The big saving is not having to pay out for superunleaded ( or whatever its called now), its about 15p a litre more expensive than normal unleaded at the moment.
Big brakes and aircon or this winters jobs.

Bash

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

and aircon or this winters jobs.
I'm sure I won't be the only one following with interest any attempt to bring the A/C back to life. Keep us posted.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Will do, but Andy was the one who gave me the confidence to have a go ( see modifications section ) but I will outline my experiences too, every little helps.
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Before I put the aircon in Im fitting the big brakes, I will stick the photos in first and the explain on the next post as t'internet (yorkshire) keeps buggering me about.

Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Tried to put in one post but.....
Been done before but not the detail so here goes.
Landrover master cylinder and front port adapter thats well documented.
Nissan 300zx sumito 4 pot alloy calipers.
Mazda bongo or 300zx discs.
But its not a straight bolt in job. The supra lads have been fitting these calipers for a while, but the Excel is slightly different in fitment. Firstly the outside face of the hub needs a couple of mm off its diameter to 141mm, this ensures a snug centric fit inside the disc because these discs fit onto the outer face and longer studs are required (demon tweeks, vauxhall toyota 14.3mm splines but 12mm threads.). The discs need redrilling to 4 studs (same pcd).
The calipers need a 8mm spacer from the hub.
The brake line support bracket needs making, easy bent bit of steel with two holes.
New short section of pipe to the standard brake flexi.
Job done.
Bash
Last edited by bash on Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Ps, Id recommend bench bleeding the master cylinder with a couple of temporary pipes fitted, hardly any air got in.
Bash
Edit
Theres weeks of work and research here, and, two useless sets of new discs where the published dimensions didnt match real life. Ive also got some very big twin piston sliding calipers that also fitted but were heavier than the 4 pots. I may try them one day as a comparison, fitting was much the same as above.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Nice work and report Bash.
Be interested to know how you feel the performance compared to the originals when in good nick.
My car has passed 2 MOT's in my time, but to be honest , I've no idea how. The slide of the original calipers was so rusted and swelling the rubber boot that the only wear evident on the disc was on the piston side. Brake performance was adequate, but did occasionally give that heart in mouth moment. Now all's been refurbished, so will be interested to see how they now compare. But still would be interested if anyone has back to back comparison of big brake set up to a good condition original.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I will report back when I try them, on with the aircon conversion at the moment. I wont be afraid of being honest though, I just wanted some brakes that feel up to current standards really, coming out of my nc mx5 into the Excel has needed a little brain recalibrating even though the standard brakes were spot on. I put the new master cylinder on with the standard brakes first and there was a definite improvement in pedal feel. Old one was 37 years old and 140,000 miles so no surprise there !
If this doesnt improve the brakes I have other plans that I might try.
Bash