Rover V8 build log

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Rover V8 build log

Post by richardw »

That looks a good approach Bash. My (fuel injection) pump is external and quite noisy, so this is a job I’ll add to my ‘would like to do’ list.

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Does it have a built-in pressure regulator as well?

Pete

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Yes, at 56psi, but its apparently a bosch one so you can get 36 psi etc to suit your system. The other advantage with an in tank unit is there is less chance of cavitation, particularly in hot weather. Some of my old TVRs used to churn over a few times before catching. Being submerged in fuel cools it.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

The other thing you might be interested in pete is that the regulator can be fitted with a pipe to up the pressure when boosting.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I've already bought a boost-referenced regulator, but it's great that they seem to have thought of all eventualities with your unit - it's well designed.

Pete

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Seems like a neat way to do things, now I'm going to have to look at that as an option while my car is in a million bits.....

Project creep Bash joins project creep Pete! Would save on having to find a way to return fuel to the tank from an exterior mounted pump/regulator.

Neil.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Fitting a return is easy if thats what you need. Below is a collapsible bung. Drill a hole in the tank, push this bung in and wind the bolt in and the inner part flares like a big pop rivet. Its drilling a hole in the tank that has issues ( see above ).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpf-40004-9
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Tank done, apart from putting it back in, plumbing and wiring.

Bash

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

bash wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 13:37
Tank done, apart from putting it back in, plumbing and wiring.

Bash
Observation on positioning.
Would the fuel line entry been better not going over the sender? ie 90 or 180 degrees rotated?
Or is the install key dependant?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

They run either side of the sender when the unions are on. Ive got both pipes running to one side so that I can actually get the tank out again, plus theres is only about a 1 1/2" gap at the top so the tank has to be in the boot area so that you can get a spanner on them. Because the tank is square there is a gap behind it at the bottom because of the angle of the seat back, thats where the pipes go thro the floor.

Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

"can we have the next slide please".....
Although there looks to be lots of wires here, there isnt compared to many fuel injection systems. A plugged wire to the temp sender, coil wire, power wire, fuel pump wire and lambda wires. Some, I wont be using till I get it running ok like ignition control (two wires), and the fans can be controlled but that's a job for later.
Im running the fuel lines under the car at the moment but no photos Im afraid.
Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Is it still shallow enough to get the pancake air filter on there? So few wires! I've got more than that from the throttle pedal!! :lol:

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Its the same depth as the edelbrock carb and fits on exactly the same bolts into the inlet manifold so the pancake filter can be reused and fits under the bonnet. Even the throttle cable fits. Its amazing how much has been packaged into the same footprint as a carb.
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Right, its been a while. To cut a long story short my ecu had a fault and the chip shortage caused a long delay but I had brilliant service from Vitesse, the uk supplier. Anyway, its on, Ive done about 200 miles and its brilliant. Very smooth, much more low down power and Im sure its much better on the liquid gold (I think thats what they are selling at the moment with the price of fuel). Its still self learning so its only going to get better. It took me about a month of messing with jets, rods and pumps to get it running smoothly with the edelbroc 4 barrel and this has trumped it already. Defo worth the time and money.
Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Great result Bash! Looking forward to seeing/hearing it again. Think you'll make it to Hoveringham?

Pete