Glass roof Elite

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Glass roof Elite

Post by Simpatico »

Whilst at the NEC we were chatting to RichardW about his Elite, and the possibility of fitting a glass roof panel to the Riviera models to get over some fitting issues, or maybe a fixed glass panel to normal cars to give a more concept car look (see below)

I can't remember where this pic came from, probably a for sale ad on Ebay.

What do you think Richard, a possibility? Shame the rollover bar gets in the way, but maybe resist stihl-sawing it out of the way like the guy with the Webasto :shock:
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

mkelite
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S2.2
Colour: Lotus Yellow
Year: 1982

Re: Glass roof Elite

Post by mkelite »

no offence but i think sun roofs on the Elite, Eclat and Excel are absolutely awful.................. and ever so more so on the Elite.

Each to their own of course just my opinion on what looks right from a design point of view.

regards.
DC.

MalcolmH
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso
Year: 1988

Post by MalcolmH »

In general, I agree with D.C - though somewhat hypocritically, as many years ago in the 80's I did have a glass sunroof* fitted to my Elite!

But I must say this one on the white car - perhaps as it's longer than the usual efforts - looks quite nice. Though would need to see the car from quite a few angles to be sure.

*In my defence, I was brand-new to Lotus ownership at the time, and did it more to relieve the intense summer cabin heat than improve the aesthetics (which it certainly didn't!). I also don't recall it intruding on the roll-bar. But as mine was a fairly bog-standard tilt-or-remove job it was probably all forward of the roll-bar.
"I never let progress get in the way of my reluctance to change"

dunc
Regular Poster
Model: 80 Eclat S2 V8, 76Eclat 520
Colour: ylw, coral

Post by dunc »

I really like it, although I'd prefer it to be an inch or so forward of where it is on the white car.

I've had glass roofs in two of mine, and one without, and in the car without a glass roof, the cabin was very dark by comparison. It is much more light and airy in the other two.

I don't really understand the "I hate sunroofs on elites and eclat's" rhetoric. I think it started with a particular member on a previous forum who thought that they weakened the car - which is total loblocks as the roof is not structural on a fibreglass car with a backbone chassis and the fibreglass roof panel is super thin. The bit I cut out a scrapper to glass in to My S1 could be used by Rolf Harris to play a tune.

We all fawn over Riviera's but all they are is an eclat with a hole cut in the roof by Lotus. I don't understand the dislike of the aftermarket ones. If they do a job and don't leak, they are fine and they make the cabin a much nicer place to be adding ventilation and light.

I'm having to remove one from the S1 and glass in a new roof panel for HSCC regs, but if it was down to personal choice I'd keep it.

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

There is a barely logical rationale behind my hypocritical prejudice towards traditional sunroofs, and my admiration for the above :oops:

"Traditional" sunroofs - the ones that look like letterboxes carved into the roof, always remind me of the el-cheapo tack that virtually every classic car had inflicted on them in the late 70s/early 80s. Tin openers at the ready, any back street garage YTS apprentice/urchin would happily rip your car apart and cause 20 years worth of cabin leaks for £99.95 (+VAT and chewing gum allowance). Yes I know you could, and still can get, properly engineered maybe even electric ones, but they rarely look as good as a factory installation and almost always at odds with the roof curvature or bodylines. People go on about extra ventilation etc, but (on my car at least) there is a choice of 2 opening windows either side of the vehicle which already do an admirable job. :wink: I'm afraid like SPAM, you can rebrand pop-up sunroofs as much as you like they still shout "70s junk"

Big glass roofs - like the Elite above are, IMHO, more reminiscent of older concept cars and exotics like the Bertone Marzal and Lambo Espada, vast glass panels that only just seem to be catching on for everyday family shunters. Plus the idea of a glass roof on the Rivieras is about enhancing a factory fit rather than irreversible modification.

So, for me at least, the difference between the 2 approaches is that the latter is a nostalgic reminder of a vision of the future, vs. an embarrassing reminder of the desperate "keeping up with the Jones'" approach to making your Cortina L look like your neighbours Cortina GLS :D
Last edited by Simpatico on Wed Dec 04, 2013 16:24, edited 2 times in total.
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

The panel on the Espada looks superb.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

+ 1 with Simpatico

Nice summary. 8)
Peter K

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

Yes indeed! I meant to concur - absolutely excellent post, Simpatico (many thanks) - but was too busy swooning over the Espada!!

dunc
Regular Poster
Model: 80 Eclat S2 V8, 76Eclat 520
Colour: ylw, coral

Post by dunc »

The big panoramic glass panels are invariably fitted to cars with aircon.

I'm not sure I would like the idea of having too big a glass area without having effective aircon to keep the area below it cool.

I'm going to disagree with the consensus and state I wouldn't want the glass panel to be too big. Normal sized and tinted is just fine for me.

In the summer I like to drive it the sunroof popped open and the windows closed.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

dunc wrote:........

In the summer I like to drive it the sunroof popped open and the windows closed.
Not doubting the benefits ...I used to like driving with mine open etc it's just on balance it can ruin a car in more ways than one if not done right.

I also like driving the wife's smart roadster with the roof open but I have to slap suncream on the bonce beforehand or I live to regret it! :shock:
Peter K

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

Nooooo!!!! Not the Espada!!!
Another car I should have bought a while back, they have gone up about 40k since I looked at one 5 or 6 years ago - gutted!!!
All the obscure Lambos have gone up massively in price in the last two years ...Espada, Uracco, Jalpa and Jarama :roll: :cry: :cry:

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Hi Simpatico,

I've not been on the forum for a few days. Your summary of the sunroof situation is excellent.

The attraction of the Riviera roof is that it is a full width panel, not a cutout. I'm certain that Pilkington (or someone similar) could make a glass panel using the fibreglass panel as a template. Regarding excessive heating from the sun (a distant dream in December), 'er indoors' Fiat 500 has a glass roof and it's never been a problem, as screening is built into the glass. The Evoque also has the option of a full length glass roof.

I guess a panel that replaced the full length of the roof would be OK as long as the trim around the roll bar could be resolved satisfactorily, and the glass could be blacked out over it. Mike Taylor at Lotusbits has concerns that the removal of the original roof would affect rigidity. I've read that Riviera roofed cars can creak a bit, but maybe this is due to inadequate clamping (as it's removable). Maybe a fully bonded in panel is the answer.

Many questions; if anyone is brave enough to have a go I'll be very interested!

All the best, Richard

elanplustwo
Verified Poster

Post by elanplustwo »

I agree

Great post "Simpatico"

So shall we try and get 3 glass sunroofs made ? Simpatico, Richard -u interested ....?

I have the contact!

Mind you the mould will not be cheap- trust me I know !!!!

Roger

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

I wouldn't go that much in extremes.... Sure, we all don't want any backyard part but it was a normal tuning in that days like subwoofers nowadays in the all mighty vauxhall Novas. :roll: On the other side we would all like a smart and unvisible woofer solution ala Audi A3Mk I...
Simpatico wrote: . Plus the idea of a glass roof on the Rivieras is about enhancing a factory fit rather than irreversible modification.
As something crazy has happened on my eBay account :shock: I would be interested in such a thing too 8)

there is a guy who makes glass roofs for the Elise and interesting other projects. Maybe one should drop him a note? http://www.visium.it/GalleriaFotografic ... ciali.html
ImageImageImageImageImage

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Let me check with Lotusbits next time I'm there (sometime next week)...they have (or recently had) an Elite with a Riviera roof and we could look at what it would take to reproduce the cutout on a standard car. If I can get a rough price out of them for the work and a quote for making glass panels then we can see if this is realistic or not.

I'm keen on the bonded approach (as the actress said to the bishop) as I don't want the leak/creak issues of a removable top, perhaps with a roller screen as well.

ATB Richard