Celebration On Pistonheads

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

barefoot
Regular Poster

Celebration On Pistonheads

Post by barefoot »

I am interested in this car http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3784002.htm it is one of the last celebrations after speaking with the seller he tells me it is a cat D as vermin got into the car and chewed the wiring which he has had fixed. He has a letter from the owner who was paid out assuring this was the reason for the insurance claim.

Does anyone know the car or its history as i am seriously thinking of buying it.

Thanks in advance.

barefoot
Regular Poster

Re: Celebration On Pistonheads

Post by barefoot »

Looks like nobody knows the car so far to help out the chap who owned the car when it was rodent damaged and got paid out by his insurance was an Andy Toone and it was regulary serviced by GST Performance in Newmarket, the car was then bought from the insurance company by a David Noble, I hope this helps.

Peter
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Peter »

Looks expensive for a Cat D, such cars are hard to shift on, which is normally reflected in the price

Also, which insurance company would write off a car supposedly worth 6 + k because a mouse chewed some wiring?, seriously that sounds a pretty unconvincing reason to be honest, i would tread with great care

Mr Locust
Senior Poster
Model: Excel EFI
Colour: White
Year: 1986

Post by Mr Locust »

The car was advertised by a seller from Plymouth on Pistonheads and Ebay earlier in the year at a significantly lower price. The question is really whether it is worth the money to you and if you are comfortable with the CatD history.

crs_20
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Silver
Year: 1983

Post by crs_20 »

I have had an insurance company write off a car worth considerably more for minor damage. I think for older cars as new parts are not always available or easy to find it is the easier option and saves them hassel. Personally i would view the car, that way you can get a feel for it, also look through the history that will give you an idea how well the car has been looked after.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

It does look a nice car and the fact that it is a Cat D write off wouldn't automatically put me off from buying it. I would consider an pre-purchase inspection by someone who knows Excels to be essential though. As for the price I agree with others that it is expensive considering the Cat D history. Like it or not it's an inescapable fact that any car with a Cat D record is worth less than a similar car without.
Last edited by KevW on Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Kev W no.282

barefoot
Regular Poster

Post by barefoot »

I have a copy of the letter from the owner who was paid out it truly was for rodent damage behind the dash I agree I found it hard to believe! Does anyone know of someone who would go and give the car a look over for me the car is in Surrey and I live nr Preston, obviously I will pay for their time? I see the place at Newmarket has a good name where it was looked after anyway it has to be worth a visit but I will not be paying the asking price thats for sure I will keep you posted of my findings.

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

Sadly I was too late at the ebay party... I had decided to get the GreenBlackBeauty and put her side by side to the Lady... It was a real bargain.

Legal note: Please handle this information confidental as the best copilot on earth didn´t know anything of my former decision.Image
ImageImageImageImageImage

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

don.hasi wrote:Sadly I was too late at the ebay party... I had decided to get the GreenBlackBeauty and put her side by side to the Lady... It was a real bargain.

Legal note: Please handle this information confidental as the best copilot on earth didn´t know anything of my former decision.Image

Don, we all know its is kinder to keep some things secret and this is certainly one of them :lol:
Kev W no.282

Mr Locust
Senior Poster
Model: Excel EFI
Colour: White
Year: 1986

Post by Mr Locust »

I was looking for so long and in so may places I even saw the advert when the salvage agent sold it on originally. I still have a note of the reg number and "RATS" on my desk pad!!

barefoot
Regular Poster

Post by barefoot »

I don't understand these last replies can someone let me in on what you mean ?

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

don.hasi wrote:Sadly I was too late at the ebay party... I had decided to get the GreenBlackBeauty and put her side by side to the Lady... It was a real bargain.

I think Don just means he missed out on buying the Celebration on a prior occasion. He intended to park it next to his current Excel. The "Legal note" is just him referring to the fact that he didn't mention it to his significant other ! At bit like when I baked my newly painted cam covers at home in our brand new oven. I didn't think that was worth mentioning to my wife....
Kev W no.282

barefoot
Regular Poster

Post by barefoot »

Oh I was wondering what was going off! Still any news on the car and anyone that could reccommend someone to view it for me would be much appreciated.

barefoot
Regular Poster

Post by barefoot »

Well I have bought the car unseen! Now trying to arrange transport as its to far away for me to go get, I paid £4500 for it after a lot of research I was happy with the deal. Pics and more stories to come when I get it home.

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

Good decision! 8)

(unseen...) This is the way lovestories begin :)

Sadly... the little last hope, that the car will come over the water is determined... :( Keep the car in proud and beauty

KevW wrote:
don.hasi wrote:At bit like when I baked my newly painted cam covers at home in our brand new oven. I didn't think that was worth mentioning to my wife....
Kev: thx for the translation. Yes. So it was... but I think, you have reached the advanced level in opposite to me 8) :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImageImage