Manifold blessings

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Manifold blessings

Post by alanmoss »

For those aware of the strange noises my car was making on arrival at the NEC, Mike Taylor's diagnosis was correct and it was blowing at the manifold/downpipe gasket (thanks Mike).
As a general point this was a new S/S downpipe sourced from Christopher Neil, but is apparently the same unit available from other suppliers.
In refitting the downpipe it was checked and found to be fractionally shorter than the original and a slightly different shape.
Judicious application of heat resulted in better alignment but the exhaust system from the back of the downpipe has been pulled forward as a result.
A gentle warning then that mixing newer components with old ones might introduce some complications.

p.s. it is not noisy now.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Re: Manifold blessings

Post by robertverhey »

Sj do a y-piece with a slip joint, might be useful to compensate for the changes up front.
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

alanmoss
Senior Poster

Post by alanmoss »

Thanks Robert. I will investigate that.
Alan

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

alanmoss wrote:A gentle warning then that mixing newer components with old ones might introduce some complications.

I have to agree with you as I replaced the two pipes that connect the rear boxes and could never get them to fit properly. They to seemed shorter than the original. Eventually it put a strain on an older part of the exhaust which broke. If you replace exhaust parts they need to be from the exact same manufacturer.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

I fitted a whole Double S system and it was too short. No particular piece was massively out but when added up it was nearly 2" out. I sent the Y piece back and they lengthened it to my measurements.

Original is best if you can get it!

alanmoss
Senior Poster

Post by alanmoss »

Finally got myself organised and ordered a Y-piece from SJ as mentioned by Robert.
Just got to get it fitted now, but it looks the business.

Excellent service from SJ.
Alan

johnthebass
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Gold
Year: 1990

Post by johnthebass »

The aspect of new parts not being quite the same as old one's isn't a new thing. Some 20 years back I obtained an "own-brand" SS exhaust system from Christopher Neil's for the Eclat I then had. Can't remember now quite what was wrong but I do remember that it took a hell of a lot of adjustment to make it fit! Let's hope that the window frames some of us are after are right when they arrive!
John

Richy B
Senior Poster

Post by Richy B »

I have a Lotus Bits SS system will let you know if it fits soon :shock: :roll:
blast from the past!

alanmoss
Senior Poster

Post by alanmoss »

Y-piece with slip joint now fitted, courtesy of Gav at Unit 4 Vehicles Services in Burton upon Trent.
(I have known Gav for many years - he used to work at Peter Smith's for 10 years but set up on his own about 18 months ago. Recommended http://www.unit4vehicleservices.co.uk/).
All sorted and the exhaust is not now catching at the back. Thanks for the suggestion Robert.
Alan

ttedj
Senior Poster
Model: excel se
Colour: vulcan grey
Year: 1989

Post by ttedj »

Thought I would resurrect this thread as one of the over axle pipes went completely last night, dropping the back box off as well.... Luckily that is ok but I will need to get a replacement over pipe and I know that the y pipe is a bit dodgy as well.

Can anyone shed some more info on the "sliding y pipe" by SJs. Does it need welding up once fitted to car or is it clamped tight? Car is 89 with later system. Will be replacing both over axle pipes and Y pipe.

I will at some point get a more free flowing exhaust as losing a silencer seemed to also remove the slight flat spot I had whilst slowly accelerating from 2000 rpm. I have L14 cams so maybe she just wants to breathe more. I was thinking, remove the centre silencer with a straight through pipe although I'm not sure this will give enough free flow?
Can't really justify the full big bore freeflow system as the money coudl be spent better on re-building the suspension. Musn't visit Lotusbits though as I can guarantee I will come away with one....

Many thanks in advance.

Ted
1989 Lotus Excel
1974 MG Midget
2006 AUDI A4 3.0 Tdi quattro
2008 VW TIGUAN (wife's)
2 Black cats

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

It was a sliding joint held in place with a standard U clamp. That said, I just checked and SJ only seems to be listing fixed (non-sliding) y pieces at present, for SE and non SE
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

alanmoss
Senior Poster

Post by alanmoss »

The one I got from Steve at SJS is part number SJ089S0017
This is shown as the SE model Y-piece and although the picture does not show it clearly it is the sliding one.
The clamp to tighten it is not included but these are not expensive.
Alan