Excels and Air-conditioning

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Re: Excels and Air-conditioning

Post by robertverhey »

My suggestion would be to find a complete factory setup that has been removed from a UK car, that would mean everything fits in and looks original. The excel engine bay is already a pretty crowded place so it will be challenging to adapt and install anything aftermarket into it.

The original setup, being Toyota based, is unobtrusive and quite effective. But it also involves a lot of "bits" like the pulley, the condenser in front of radiator, the evaporator inside the heater unit behind glove box, AC buttons on dash, compressor and bracket, pipework, idle step up solenoid, various bits of harness etc etc. quite a lot to consider. Or just trade up to one that already has aircon installed.

I had mine recommissioned on arrival in Sydney and converted to R134A. It was quite a complicated process because the condenser was completely rotten, ended up scouring the wreckers and a mid '80s Holden Commodore condenser was pretty much an exact fit!
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

Mec
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red
Year: 1986

Post by Mec »

Hi all

My new acquired Project has factory A/C, I wonder how many others in the UK have it

Mike

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Mec wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 15:39
Hi all

My new acquired Project has factory A/C, I wonder how many others in the UK have it

Mike
I'm relatively new to the Excel world too, so I can stand corrected but I believe it was optional from the get go and was standard on the SE which came along 85/86.

The real question is whether it works or not... for me it's a no, and have no pressing desire to get it working. :lol:

Dwayne
1980 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia
1989 Peugeot 205 1.1 Look
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Dwaynem884 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 16:47
Mec wrote:
Hi all

Mike
........ was standard on the SE which came along 85/86.........

Dwayne
And the SA too in 86
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

bash wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 08:43
See my v8 link from page 15 onwards.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8397&start=210

Also andy did it to a standard excel.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12499

To be honest a combination of the two methods means you could do it without all of the kit from another car. You don't need all the old electrics for instance it can be run just from the trinary switch. The bit under the dash between the fan and the heater assembly could be fabricated depending how handy you are and a generic rad used. All the other bits are standard generic bits. But you might have to fabricate a compressor mount. I'm not going to say it was easy or quick but it is possible.

Bash
How about a fully electric one, as used on electric cars? No experience at all, but they seem very cheap

Zag
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Ice Blue

Post by Zag »

I'm relatively new to the Excel world too, so I can stand corrected but I believe it was optional from the get go and was standard on the SE which came along 85/86.

Still an option on the SE

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

My brochures from the time show aircon an extra cost option on SE and standard on SA

Would attach pics if I knew how
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

I looked at electric ones, they use about 100 watts !!!

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Zag wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 22:25

Still an option on the SE
Only ever standard on the SA, celebration and possibly the post celebration models (at least in the UK)

Mec
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red

Post by Mec »

Dwaynem884 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 16:47
Mec wrote:
Hi all

Mike

The real question is whether it works or not... for me it's a no, and have no pressing desire to get it working. :lol:

Dwayne
As far as i know it was optional on the SE too