I can hear the sea (aircon funnies)

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

I can hear the sea (aircon funnies)

Post by amarshall »

A couple of funnies from my aircon - I have theories, but would like 2nd/3rd/4th opinions please :

i ) When the aircon and blower are on and I do a sharpish RH/LH cornering combination (e.g. 3rd exit of a roundabout), I can hear a "whooshing" noise that sounds a bit like water rushing (tide coming in?). There's no water in the fan assembly.

ii) When the aircon is full-on Mrs. M is getting wet feet because of drips of water in the passenger footwell which seem to be coming from the evaporator. It looks like condensation on the outside of the evaporator and one of the coolant pipes in the engine bay is covered in condensation too.

Any thoughts ?
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Re: I can hear the sea (aircon funnies)

Post by robertverhey »

Assuming you've checked the drain tube from the evaporator and it's okay, not draining into cabin?

Hmm need to remember my high school physics. Cold drink bottle out of fridge, moisture forms on the outside from the air.....same as the evaporator when it cools BUT, it should also be directing that cabin moisture out of the air into the drain tube and out onto the road. And the resultant low humidity inside the cabin should stop the evaporator from getting wet

To me it all points to a blocked drain tube, causing a back up of water which is the sloshing noise and keeping the humidity high hence the wet evaporator.....

Or maybe something totally different!

Hope this assists, let us know how you go
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

robertverhey wrote: To me it all points to a blocked drain tube, causing a back up of water which is the sloshing noise and keeping the humidity high hence the wet evaporator.....
Damn - I was hoping it wouldn't be - I'm the wrong shape to get to it!
robertverhey wrote: Or maybe something totally different!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SORN - just say NO!

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

OK - I can find two drain hoses either side of the bellhousing. One is the well-known leaf collector and the other is in a similar position on the other side. Both seem to be allowing a free flow. I can't get my hand behind the evaporator to check the hose there.

I had another thought though - could it be that the thermocouple or amplifier is faulty ? The circuit there is supposed to cut aircon when the evaporator gets too cold. Given the level of condensation in the car and on the pipe in the engine bay, I wonder if it's just getting too cold ?

As for the noise of running water - that's only heard when the blower is running - maybe some debris in the conduit moving around and making contact ?
SORN - just say NO!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

The thermocouple does stop the evaporater getting too cold - it stops it freezing up, but it still allows it to get down to ~ 4 deg C. Can you hear the aircon cycling on and off regularly? If it is cycling regularly the thermocouple/amplifier are probably working OK. (What year is your car?)

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Hi Pete - it's a 1990. Things seem to be cycling OK, but it's difficult to tell. It was certainly working properly when the system was converted and re-gassed last year.
SORN - just say NO!

alangs1200
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SA
Colour: Red
Year: 1989

Post by alangs1200 »

I see this topic is many years old but did you ever resolve it? I have exactly the same problem and the boss is less than impressed by getting her feet doused with very cold water every 15-20 minutes or so.

My observations - hot day, AC running, build up of condensate and then on a bend (to the right) a large release of water into the passenger footwell.

A 90 minute drive yesterday left a very wet passenger mat!

I assume I have a blocked (or misdirected) drain, but before I assume the position any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
1993 - parted with an Excel Celebration to make way for kids. 2020 - parted with the kids to make way for an Excel SA.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Angus has left the building.

He's now on 'LotusExcel.co.uk'- from there you might be able to join his facebook page and ask him directly.
Peter K

alangs1200
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SA
Colour: Red

Post by alangs1200 »

Thanks for that. Will do.
1993 - parted with an Excel Celebration to make way for kids. 2020 - parted with the kids to make way for an Excel SA.

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

There is a separate drain for the air con unit - whether it's accessible with the engine in is the million dollar question....

There are 2 for the cabin air intake/leaf catcher about an inch in diameter, the aircon one is about 1/2 an inch - see pic below looking at the firewall from the front of the car - the yellow circle is the exit from the cabin.

Below is a pic of the unit in the car - the black drain tube is clear, the bits with the blue tape are the pipes from the engine bay into the unit.

Hope this helps. Sent from my phone, not sure if the pics are working....the drain is below and to the drivers side of the aircon feeds. Edited to sort out the pics.

Neil.

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Here's a picture of the drain in the engine bay from before the car was taken completely to pieces...easier to see with no engine in place I imagine.

Neil

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Ive got mine on the bench in pieces at the moment, the drain can be cleared out by pushing a tie wrap (zip tie in u.s.) up the spout in the engine bay.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Heres the inside of the bottom tray of the aircon with the drain. there would have to be a fair bit of water in there to create sloshing / wet feet, it can only be a blocked drain.

Bash

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.