Binding brakes

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Steve C
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Re: Binding brakes

Post by Steve C »

My locknut had worked loose and allowed the rod to shorten - causing my brake pedal to drop .. if a PO / garage had spotted this and taken up too much slack it could cause a problem.
Last edited by Steve C on Mon Jun 16, 2008 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

Thanks for the advice it certainly sounds plausible.

It's now a month since the brakes misbehaved so I'm going to leave well alone for now.
Kev W no.282

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

I've cured the binding brakes !

Recently the problem began to occur after every journey ie. park, leave for 30mins, try to drive away and the brakes bind on at the first application. Leave for an hour to "cool off "and the brakes work normally again.

I couldn't source a new Bendix master cylinder so I bought a repair kit. When I stripped the existing MC the bore and all the seals etc looked to be in perfect condition. I know that this does not guarantee that they are but I thought I would try giving everything a really good clean and put it back together again. I then refilled and bled the system using DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

I've driven the car for a few weeks now and I can't get the brakes to misbehave - even if I use them like a BMW driver. The repair kit can go into my spares cupboard for the time if/when I need to recon the MC.
Kev W no.282

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

I've just come across this outfit http://www.pastparts.co.uk/

Although I've not used them they may be worth considering now that the Bendix cylinders are no longer available.
Kev W no.282

MickW
Verified Poster
Model: Excel (wide body) Manual
Colour: silver
Year: 1984

Post by MickW »

I think dirt can somehow form or get past the seals over a long period of time.
I had the 'binding brakes' problem & a recon master cylinder solved it.

Just recently I found that the brake pedal kept moving towards the floor, suggesting an air leak, &
the servo didn't seem to be working properly.
I've recently had my servo reconditioned by Classicar Automotive. [www.classicarautomotive.co.uk ]
They advertise in the Club Lotus magazine and I can definitely recommend them.

The brakes are now marvellous - like when it was new!!!

MickW.

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

The old trouble has returned after 8 months of trouble-free motoring (which included a recent demanding tour of the Lake District).

Our 45 min tea break on the way home from Donnington yesterday turned into a 2 hour one whilst we waited for the brakes to free off. I'm going to contact Pastparts to see about getting the brake master cylinder re-sleeved.
Kev W no.282

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can resolve it soon.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

Thanks Alan, it should be an easy fix.....

I'll post updates for future reference.
Kev W no.282

worzel4u
Regular Poster
Year: 0

Post by worzel4u »

Hi

Just an observation- it might not be relevant to your problem but....

Try the air valve (Ithink that's what they're called and I think all servos have them).

I had a similar problem on an elan- the brakes locked on without warning. In that case the servo was a Lockheed remote type but I imagine all servos work the same way. When you press the pedal hydraulic pressure lifts a small valve (about 5/16 in diameter or so). This allows the vacuum to "pressurise" the system to the wheels (not the correct term I know). If that valve doesn't return the brakes will stay on. On Lockheed remotes there was a mod that involved fitting a light spring under the air filter housing to assist the valve. Occasionally, before they locked on hard the brakes would drag after a light pedal application and tapping the pedal would free off the brakes with a sudden jolt.

Might be worth checking yours before you splash out on a replacement- servos don't usually go wrong in a big way unless dirt gets into the innards or the fluid isn't regularly changed.

Regards

John

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

I hope that you used the latest compatable type of dot 5.1 fluid, cos the other stuff does horrible stuff to the rubber in brake systems. I have come across this sort of thing before and what happened was that the flexible brake hoses had 'cats arsed', if you have seen one in cross section you would know what I mean. The inner lining collapses and it keeps applied pressure in the caliper end of the line until the pressure leaks back past the 'arse'. Give your flexies a squeeze to see how soft they are, it might give you a clue.

Im full of similar good technical terms by the way.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

Good news. Bendix master cylinders (Ford P100 type) as fitted to late model Excels are now available again. I bought a brand new one from PNM Engineering for £84+VAT and fitted it at the weekend. The brake problem has now been cured so although the internals of the original MC looked perfect there was obviously something amiss.

I took the rear o/s disc off to inspect the handbrake shoes and the friction material just fell off the shoe so next job is to source some replacements. SJ are listing 4 shoes for £60+VAT which seems a tad expensive so I'll be doing some shopping around.
Kev W no.282

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/ Toyota 82-85 Supra / Celica, Hand Brake Shoes Set (4) £24.89
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

Many thanks for the tip-off Chris
Kev W no.282