How long did it take?

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Redexcel
Senior Poster
Year: 0

How long did it take?

Post by Redexcel »

Does anyone know how long it took Lotus to build an Excel ?
I need to know if mine was built in 1987 or 1988. It was first registered on 29th January 1988 and it has the J in the VIN which means it is '88 MY. The engine number indicates that the engine was built in October 1987. Can anyone shed any light or have the details of anyone I can contact at Lotus? :?

Thanks.
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

16VJay
Junior Poster

Post by 16VJay »

Paul,

Get in touch with Chris Brown at the factory - one of his roles is keeper of the archives and he can check and see when your car was started.

I would guess you car was probably started in December 87, if it was registered on 29th Jan 88, you have to allow time for PDI etc. at the dealer, shipping to the dealer, final check at Lotus, rectification (if needed), check and then build before that, so allowing for Christmas 87 it could even have been started in November....

HTH,

Jeremy.

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

16VJay wrote:Paul,

Get in touch with Chris Brown at the factory - one of his roles is keeper of the archives and he can check and see when your car was started.

I would guess you car was probably started in December 87, if it was registered on 29th Jan 88, you have to allow time for PDI etc. at the dealer, shipping to the dealer, final check at Lotus, rectification (if needed), check and then build before that, so allowing for Christmas 87 it could even have been started in November....

HTH,

Jeremy.
Thanks for that. I'll try to email Chris Brown. Would you have his email address, please ?
Paul

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

I've heard back from the archivist at Lotus, apparently the build date for my car is in October 1987. The build date being when the car is handed to Sales from Production. I guess there was not a huge demand for Excels back then, as my car was therefore sitting around for almost three months before being registered. I always thought Lotus built to order.

If anyone wants to find out the details for their car, contact Andy Graham

AGraham@lotuscars.co.uk

Chris Brown does not deal with the archives any more.
Andy Graham will provide a certificate with all your car's details for £25, but my request for just the build date was answered free.
Paul