New spanish 87' Excel SE Owner

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MARTOQUEZ32
Verified Poster
Year: 0

New spanish 87' Excel SE Owner

Post by MARTOQUEZ32 »

Hi, since last Saturday I´m a 87´Excel SE Owner, and with only 60 miles driven all that I can say is that is a wonderfull car.
I have some questions that i hope somebody can answer:
- Which is the appropiate petrol to be used? leaded/unleaded? 95RON/98RON?
- The fuell pump make a continuos noise "click, click, click,....". Is this normal?
- Where can I buy some parts on-line that I need for the car? In Spain there is only an official Lotus Center but is very far from my home (500 miles).

Thanks a lot.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Welcome!

Petrol - the Lotus 9xx series can all use unleaded, but run better on 98 RON, especially the HC engines.

Not sure about the "click click" but the pump on mine can certainly be heard at times.

Parts ? We have a list pinned in "Technical Articles". SJ Sportscars and Lotusbits.com are the two most recommended, followed by PNM Engineering.
Last edited by amarshall on Tue Dec 11, 2007 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

My Excel was off the road for a few weeks. When I satrted using it again I noticed the fuel pump making a faint "clunk" sound every 2 seconds.

I just assumed the pump is getting old and worn. I'm expecting to have to replace it, probably with one of a better design, next year.
Kev W no.282

Tanz
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I think the clicking is normal isn't it?

If you turn the key to the 2nd position without starting the engine you can hear it click a few times until the fuel line is full. Once the engine is started it must keep clicking as it delivers fuel but there is too much engine noise to hear it!!

Cheers,

Phil
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

Welcome to the world of Lotus Excels. Enjoy it.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

?Como se llamo usted

Me llamo Pedro.

Use 98 Ron in your SE ...but it won't last long if you park it in the Madrid heat (rapid evaporation)!
Peter K

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

Hi - the fuel pump on my SE also makes a clicking noise - and this was both before and after I fitted a new SU pump (just like the original). When you turn the ignition you can hear the pump clicking away for a few seconds, then once the carbs float chambers are full the clicking stops.
As for fuel - I found I need to use very good grade fuel (e.g. Shell Optimax/V-max, or what ever it is called now), that is 98 octane or better. If you use lower grade fuel the engine feels very lumpy, like the first few miles on a very cold morning and you use the choke. Once I changed to 'good fuel' the engine was MUCH better.
You should also get the ignition timing and carbs tuned. Again, the SE is very sensitive to these being set correctly, and needs to be checked at least once per year. However, once you get it right the engine is great.
For info on carbs adjustment look at http://www.dellorto.co.uk/ Click on Car carbs, then DHLA, scroll down and is everything there.
A great book on D'ellorto carbs is also sold via this site - 'Weber and Dellorto' by Des Hammill. Excellent info with step by step instructions. I would also recommend their 4 column manometer, it makes setting up twin carbs easy.
Finally the Gunson ColorTune - easy to check the fuel mixture is correct and everything is firing correctly.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

^^^^ fully endorse this...Eurocarb are "worth their weight" as far as I'm concerned.

Funny you should report the lumpy cold running...I've recently used "Excellium" (I think it's called) from a local Total garage which is their high octane stuff, and for the first time experienced symptoms of weakness (jerky/lumpy) in the cold weather so needed the choke for the first few miles.

Never had to use the choke on V max/power thingy, but having said that the cold jerkiness has also coincided with a plug change - same NGK 7 BPR spec as before, but with an extra "S" in the spec (7BPRS from SJS)

I need to look up what the S stands for - (perhaps it's "Short reach"?) and put the old 7BPR plugs back in before I blame the petrol prematurely.
Peter K

MARTOQUEZ32
Verified Poster

Post by MARTOQUEZ32 »

Thanks to all for your help.
I hope to enjoy this car for long time.
--------------------------------------------------
Pedro, my name is David

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:^^^^ fully endorse this...Eurocarb are "worth their weight" as far as I'm concerned.

Funny you should report the lumpy cold running...I've recently used "Excellium" (I think it's called) from a local Total garage which is their high octane stuff, and for the first time experienced symptoms of weakness (jerky/lumpy) in the cold weather so needed the choke for the first few miles.

Never had to use the choke on V max/power thingy, but having said that the cold jerkiness has also coincided with a plug change - same NGK 7 BPR spec as before, but with an extra "S" in the spec (7BPRS from SJS)

I need to look up what the S stands for - (perhaps it's "Short reach"?) and put the old 7BPR plugs back in before I blame the petrol prematurely.
Peter, you should be using BPR7ES in the SE engine. The 'E' is very important. I can't find my NGK catalogue at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it signifies the extended nose of the firing end. If you use the version where the nose is level with the end of the plug body, I guess its possible there may be some missfiring under certain conditions.

Paul.
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

Dang!
Memory let me down. Must remember not to post unless certain.
:oops:
Paul

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

My mistake. I've just popped down to the garage to check.

The new ones are BPR7ES and the old BPR7E ...just lacks the S which Angus ' link says... S means std super copper core ...so that can't be the cause of the cold jerkiness. I never set the gaps mind...I just bunged them in..maybe I should check them.

The old plugs had been in for some time and I meant to post a picture (camera nicked!) of the colour ....grey-white deposits indicating a good combustion albeit a tad on the weak side perhaps. No wonder I'm getting good economy! To which I credit my Spitfire multispark device (cue Angus..........only joking Angus :wink: )

It's probably the petrol anyway.
Peter K

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Paul surely you are still right in that the thread reach influences the electrode position in the combustion chamber :wink:
Peter K

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Paul surely you are still right in that the thread reach influences the electrode position in the combustion chamber :wink:
Thank you for attempting to mask my ill-judgement. :)
Merry Christmas and goodnight !!
Paul