Battery

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Will49
Junior Poster

Battery

Post by Will49 »

Finally its warming up enough to get back onto the refurb. Just replaced the fuel filter and pump, pig of a job, and went to start her and she almost fired but the battery died.
So whats the very best battery to fit is my question?

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Re: Battery

Post by lambert.john »

I bought one two years ago from battery2u.co.uk. They provided an excellent, prompt, delivery service and for a price hard to beat. I paid £59.37 - all inclusive - for a Lucas HB075 for my Excel.

Don't expect a battery to last more than 7 years and, if the car's left idle for any length of time, rig it up to a conditioner. Doing this I've had no trouble.
John L.

Will49
Junior Poster

Post by Will49 »

Many thanks John for the advice

John
Regular Poster

Post by John »

I fitted a Yuasa YBX3075 to my SE a year ago and so far so good. My Mazda 6 had a Yuasa from new and that lasted 9 years, so they appear to be decent batteries.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I got a Duracell in March 2015 - still going strong. I use the car twice a week all year. Don't own a conditioner but do use a battery isolater switch.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

Four years ago I replaced the battery on my Excel with a much beefier 680 CCA battery intended for a Rover 75/MG ZT Diesel /https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172718062417

I reasoned if that battery was happy starting my MG on the coldest winter morning it would be fine for my Excel too. The battery's terminals are on the correct side for the Excel.

At 27cm long the bigger battery doesn't sit in the Excel's battery well like the smaller battery did but with a small block of wood in the well to compensate it can be clamped securely in place using the OE Lotus battery clamp and cover.
Kev W no.282

Will49
Junior Poster

Post by Will49 »

Thanks for the feed bac.
I finally got the engine running after taking the battery out and giving it an 8amp charge for 4 hours then a 4 amp charge overnight and she seems to be good.
Turns out the battery conditioner i was using was charging at 6volts not 12 ......there is a lesson there then.
I will see how she goes and if required will get the bigges battery I can fit.