Heater Matrix

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Heater Matrix

Post by rbgosling »

Despite the second new radiator in 9 months, my car continues to lose coolant at an unhappy-making rate. I recently noticed that the passenger footwell has turned into a substantial puddle, and I'm wondering whether this might be related :shock: . Although the car is parked outside, and the weather has been horrible recently, the car in my 13 years ownership has generally avoided substantial rain leaks so that isn't the obvious candidate.

A 5-minute feel around hasn't uncovered an obvious trail back for the water, the carpet around the sides of the footwell all seems dry. More research is required, with a head torch and the Lotus Position, once I've got the worst of the water out!

If I'm right, this is going to be another dash-out job - at least I know how to do that!. Finding a replacement doesn't look easy though - none of Lotusbits, SJ, or CTL list the matrix for sale, although hopefully Lotusbits will have a used one somewhere on their shelves that hasn't made it onto the website yet. I really want to be sure this is the issue, and have a good replacement ready to go in, as I cannot afford to have the car off the road for ages while I resolve the problem.

Anyone replaced a heater matrix on a later-dash Excel? Got a spare one knocking around their garage? Can confirm or deny that a leaky matrix leads to a soggy passenger footwell?
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Zag
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Ice Blue
Year: 1986

Re: Heater Matrix

Post by Zag »

Not had a leaking matrix in the Excel but did have one in a 480 20 odd years ago. You should be able to tell if it is coming from the water jacket as the water will smell sweet as opposed to odourless/stale if it is rain water.

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Zag wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 16:59
Not had a leaking matrix in the Excel but did have one in a 480 20 odd years ago. You should be able to tell if it is coming from the water jacket as the water will smell sweet as opposed to odourless/stale if it is rain water.
It does smell sweet. Not tried tasting it though!
"Farmer" Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I might have one Richard - I'll have a look over the weekend.

Pete

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I've found a heater matrix. I'll test it for leaks as soon as I can use my thumb properly again - arthritis/tendonitis :(

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Many thanks Pete. I was passing Lotusbits yesterday, so I dropped in and picked one up there. That said, I haven’t proven to my own satisfaction yet that it is well sealed…
"Farmer" Richard