Full body mechanical scissor lift

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Full body mechanical scissor lift

Post by MetBlue »

Anyone got experience of using this style of lift on a wedge?
https://workshopping.co.uk/jacking-lift ... ift-1500kg

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: Full body mechanical scissor lift

Post by rbgosling »

Probably better for a Lotus than it would have been on the MGBs or Spitfire I've owned previously, I wouldn't trust the sills on those cars to hold up a ham sandwich, let alone the weight of the whole car!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Not that type only the hydraulic ones, I think its a bit expensive compared to those. With the hydraulic ones, not used on an excel but on an elise it needed a couple of shallow ramps to get a little more ground clearance to get it underneath. Also it needed a flat floor, Im not sure how it would work on a driveway. Quick release fittings are handy but can leak a little fluid. I would keep the rams clean when lowering if you have been doing a dirty job to preserve the rams wipers and seals. My mates got one and loves it and uses it all the time on classic elans, caterham and tvr. The one you have highlighted could well break down into smaller bits which is useful when it comes to storage though. Clearance issues will probably be similar. Im not sure from the advert if its long enough to get under the jacking points though.
Hope Ive not been too negative.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Lozza74
Junior Poster

Post by Lozza74 »

There is a thread on hydraulic lifts here https://lotusexcel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... fe0248a2ac

My concern with the type you show is the size of the lifting pads, they look quite short and so may not extend to the area around any jacking points - that could put stress on relatively weak areas of the floor. Having said that I suspect it would be fairly easy to use something to spread the load over a wider area.