1992 Excel SE - How far is too far?

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Re: 1992 Excel SE - How far is too far?

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Thanks men.

The deed is done.

1980 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia
1989 Peugeot 205 1.1 Look
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Light is faintly starting to show at the end of the tunnel.

After dying the whole interior, the process of rebuilding begins.

Both front seats have returned from the upholsterers. They also did the handbrake & gear lever gaiters. Thanks to Tony for the handbrake gaiter template.

After the alterations, I'm pleased with them. Just closed my eyes when paying for them though... My 205 cost less :shock:

Carpets from coverdale came a while back and have gotten round to fitting as well. A good bit of cutting and shaping but not bad overall, if anything the excess material is more desired than too little. They have been a delight to work with. I went with the champagne Blenheim (I think that's the name they have on it) with gold cotton webbing. My car seemed to have come with a webbing edging from factory, something I haven't seen on any other car. By it's own standing, the new carpet is great and good quality, however, compare it directly with the original, the quality is night and day. Even coverdale's premium wool selection was nowhere near the original Lotus quality. An improvement could be if a heavier backing was on the loose floor sections, just to give less skittishness and would lie flat better also. If you're picky over colour, it's not for you but as stated, in it's own right and fitted to the car, it finishes the car very nicely.

Working on the passenger mirror, I thought it was going to be an issue but pleasantly surprised.

This was the shape of the mirror, I thought the white on the tabs meant that it had broken from the main casing but on dismantling (using a very helpful guide that was linked to the forum somewhere) I discovered that it was just missing a couple of the wee press on round boyos (that's the technical name right??) Was for sometime bracing myself to source a new wing mirror, so happy with that.

The car has been fitted with a relatively period Sony cd player which I will keep, It had red/white ports in the back so I was able to run a red/white to aux cable into the glove box, leaving it that little more accessible to modern times.

I've heard these, could be just the tool, to make it even more today-friendly, especially in our post-aux port age.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-BTR5-Blue ... 4785&psc=1

Out of curiosity, does anyone know someone who could re-do the leather on the gear knob. It has worn through, but given the rarity of these, I don't know if i would let it out of my sight.

Dwayne
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Rebuilding the door mirror last night after painting the shell.

All came together great. only fiddly bit was fitting the glass back on. I'd recommend test fitting the adjustment motor to the glass apart from the rest of the assembly to understand how the two fix together.

As shown in my previous post, the black ribbed housing was coming away from the main shell, cause of which is shown in the above photo. Still can't remember their names but a few of mine had rotted off, new ones on and all fitting very snug again.

Some dodgy previous painting required the shell to be painted again but also left overspray on all black components. To remedy this I used Wurth Plastic Dye. Fantastic stuff, comes well recommended from the Peugeot 205 world for bumpers and other trim. Comes in either Black or Anthracite. Expensive but 'wurth it' :wink: You can throw your back to black in the bin after using it.

To dismantle or rebuild the mirror only use this guide, I've tried others, but this was simple to follow and you didn't feel like you were going to break everything around you.
https://www.marcosforum.org/mirror-and- ... t5465.html

After full assembly, time to refit to the door, after breaking my hand in 25 places, I finally managed to get all tightened up.

But looking great, I think.

1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Looking great!

Pete

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

Thanks for the tip about the Wurth plastic dye Dwayne. Do you think it bonded with the plastic rather than sitting on the surface like Back To Black or Armorall etc ?
Kev W no.282

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

KevW wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 02:56
Thanks for the tip about the Wurth plastic dye Dwayne. Do you think it bonded with the plastic rather than sitting on the surface like Back To Black or Armorall etc ?
Definitely bonds. I've had it on my 205's for a year now. Here's another one I done (the grey one)

BEFORE

AFTER
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

Looks darn impressive !
Kev W no.282

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

T'was a big moment at the weekend....

First time she has been out of the shed since April. New windscreen in, allowed me to get her down on her feet and out for a stretch.

Unfortunately, in all the excitement of the prospect of getting her out, whilst fitting the drivers seat...

Anybody got one handy? :roll:

A few things I discovered on her blast.

1. Rad fans going like the blazes, I went for this switch https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183540507743 Cut out is 80° maybe a higher temp switch needed? next step up is on-95°/off-85°.
2. RH Fan made an brutal noise, I rebuilt one of them so my initial thought was a problem there, on inspection the band around the shroud was ever so slightly out of shape therefore colliding with the fins, so a good oul chap from the hammer sorted that.
3. Lost the speedo - I did have the cable out from the speedometer so hopefully an error on my part in there in re-assembly.
4.If someone could explain as and when the purge pump works. After driving, the rad fans would stay on, on accessory but off once ignition is off. However, the purge pump would kick into action once ignition is off, on accessory it would stop. I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour, I don't think it is.
5. Don't drive without the front valance... the undertray doesn't like it :shock: :lol:
6. A massive smile appeared on my face as I got to feel her on the road again, first drive since Feb.

In other departments - wooden seat knobs.

Neither were present in the car when I got her but as I took out the seats and carpets both were discovered, both in need of a re-finish.
Started by knocking them down with 240grit, then 500 finishing with a fine steel wool.

Next step - A bit unorthodox for this application, but I'm sticking with what I know.

Gun stock finish, I've used it before (.303 no.4 Lee Enfield, for any interested parties) , easy to apply and a fantastic finish, you just don't want to be in a rush, a coat every 12 hours.
This photo was after the 2nd coat. I'll post another when finished.

Next on the agenda - seat belt brackets, that will allow me to get the rest of the interior fitted.
Last edited by Dwaynem884 on Tue Oct 24, 2023 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

I may have a seat plastic wheel - but it's years since I've seen it! I'll have a look.

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Pete Boole wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 21:54
I may have a seat plastic wheel - but it's years since I've seen it! I'll have a look.

Pete
Me too. Looking
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Purge pump runs off the rear block temp sensor and mine runs until temp cools to the set figure. Mine is sometimes 20 mins after stopping. Does cause some people concern on the long running time so some re-configure the feeds.

Feed is direct positive from starter via DE-ENERGISED pump relay, ie ignition off.

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Pete Boole wrote:

Pete
Hawaiis0 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 20:05
Pete Boole wrote:

Pete
Me too. Looking
Thanks men,

Thanks for the info on the purge pump. Seems to be behaving just right then. I had plugged it out at the time. plugged it back in when cold and not a cheap out of it. We can cross that one off the list.

Left her outside in the wet to see in any water ingress... sorry to report that both doors are letting in water. Drivers more than passengers. Drivers door is fully rebuilt, door card etc. passenger side isn't, and doesn't even have the access panels on. I also haven't got the spats that go on the exterior up the A post yet. Not going to do too much digging until I have them on, I presume they would help a lot.

I know Lotus Bits have new door seals if it comes to that but I really don't fancy spending £120 on a new set.
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Many find that water runs down the door seal externally and jumps inside by capillary action when it hits the bottom curve. An application of sealant on the u channel down the length of the vertical and past the bend helps to keep the water outside.

There are other possibilities but try that first

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 17:08
Many find that water runs down the door seal externally and jumps inside by capillary action when it hits the bottom curve. An application of sealant on the u channel down the length of the vertical and past the bend helps to keep the water outside.

100% support this. Not even a sealant solved mine though. The leather was folded around the fibre glass and I'm convinced it drew water through at an alarming volume. I removed the leather in the end, dried it out then stuck it back on without folding over the opening.

The other big leak point is the wiper wheel box spindle. Easy check. Poor water into the recess and if it disappears, it's only gone one place - inside.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 17:08

Can also run down the groove between hard part of seal and soft rubber bulb - I watched it doing it on mine. A couple of holes punched through the seals at the bottom of the corners allows it to drain through.