Excel Values - Europe

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Roadrunner
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1984

Excel Values - Europe

Post by Roadrunner »

From what I can see excels here in the UK continue to be offered at surprisingly low values. Looking at theparking-cars.co.uk website asking prices in nearby Europe generally range £17-25,000 but here on home ground they seem around £5-9,000. Am I missing something? Confused!!

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Re: Excel Values - Europe

Post by Marten »

Roadrunner wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 16:54
From what I can see excels here in the UK continue to be offered at surprisingly low values. Looking at theparking-cars.co.uk website asking prices in nearby Europe generally range £17-25,000 but here on home ground they seem around £5-9,000. Am I missing something? Confused!!
Any car is way cheaper in the UK, for starters being RHD the demand for export will be pretty limited. So if you are prepared to deal with export, tax and registration and can put up with RHD, deals can be had. But post Brexit it hasn't become easier. So the few continental cars will probably fetch a premium

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

JB455
Junior Poster
Model: Excel

Post by JB455 »

That Hemmings car is actually still in Belgium. I guess they figure they'll wait until someone pays their number before the cost/hassle of importing.
There was another LHD car imported here last year- dealer was asking $45,000 USD. It ended up selling on the Bring A Trailer auction site for $27k. Another LHD car that had been here a while was listed by a dealer for $45k- it sold, but in a private sale so no idea how much.
Prior to that- a RHD car also on BAT sold for $20,650. Mine was the last "bargain" Excel sale in the US.

Roadrunner
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Year: 1984

Post by Roadrunner »

Marten wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 18:27
Any car is way cheaper in the UK, for starters being RHD the demand for export will be pretty limited. So if you are prepared to deal with export, tax and registration and can put up with RHD, deals can be had. But post Brexit it hasn't become easier. So the few continental cars will probably fetch a premium
Certainly a valid point with regard to lower demand for RHD cars in much of Europe in much the same way as lower demand (in the main) for LHD in the UK. I am though surprised by the relatively large number of Excels which seem to be availble in mainland Europe, some of which look to be RHD. I don't have any real knowledge of costs in importing or exporting cars but understand that importing examples more than 30 years old to Netherlands and Belgium from the UK doesn't (or didn't pre-brexit) attract import duties. It would be interesting to hear from someone of greater knowledge than me on this.

The number of advertised Excels for sale in the UK at any one time seems remarkably low and probably reflects owners fondness of their cars as keepers, including myself. If advertised costs of cars in Europe do actually achieve anywhere near asking prices then it will probably never be viable to bring one to the UK which is a little sad and steadily reduce the pool on home ground.

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red

Post by Marten »

Roadrunner wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 09:23
I don't have any real knowledge of costs in importing or exporting cars but understand that importing examples more than 30 years old to Netherlands and Belgium from the UK doesn't (or didn't pre-brexit) attract import duties. It would be interesting to hear from someone of greater knowledge than me on this.
For NL:

No vehicle tax which is written of over 25 years (which could be a lot on newer cars with thirtsty engine as in a grand on a Mustang V8))
No import duty after 30 (otherwise 10%)
VAT 6 instead of 21% after 30 years

Most Excells probably stayed in the UK, however the rare exports were probably better cared for being pretty exotic, so more remain.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

From the register we are building, I can offer some ball park numbers to this discussion.
Based on Lotus data for VIN's, there were 1993 Domestic Excels manufactured and only 211 Export models (presume majority LHD).
Of the Domestic cars, I now have sight of around 20% of the production. Of these, 14 are recognised by DVLA as being exported, If the cars we have sight of is representative, that would suggest around 90 cars could have been exported, but I'd suggest this would be a gross over estimation, as I believe a large percentage of the cars not on the register are either lost in Barns / garages, or scrapped, hence can't be traced.
bring one to the UK which is a little sad and steadily reduce the pool on home ground.
Based on the numbers, I can't see repatriating any cars making any noticeable difference to the UK pool. More likely though, Brit's living abroad who know these cars are more likely to look to the UK to purchase, then export themselves, particularly as it doesn't look too costly for older cars and a ferry ticket won't break the deal.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

1150SS
Verified Poster

Post by 1150SS »

Hello All-

I purchased the Bring A Trailer Excel. I'm extremely happy with it thus far although I have only logged a few miles. It's a very well preserved example.

Can't wait for spring to actually drive it. In the meanwhile I will be reading up on Excel.net and will have plenty of questions.

Cheers!

Scott
Wisconsin, USA

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi Scott! Welcome to the forum! Posting photos here is a bit tiresome but have a go :D - we like photos!

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

1150SS wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:02
Hello All-

I purchased the Bring A Trailer Excel. I'm extremely happy with it thus far although I have only logged a few miles. It's a very well preserved example.

Can't wait for spring to actually drive it. In the meanwhile I will be reading up on Excel.net and will have plenty of questions.

Cheers!

Scott
Wisconsin, USA
Welcome Scott! Make the most of the forum, it's full of useful information and friendly people who love to help out. We have a handful of members in the US - you are not alone, but certainly part of a very Elite group (sorry... :P )
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Welcome dude. You won't regret your new toy.
Bash
Ps, was it the silver one ?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

1150SS
Verified Poster

Post by 1150SS »

Thank you for welcoming me!

I am still trying to get a handle on posting photos here, but for reference here is a link to the auction.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-lotus-excel/

Cheers!

Scott

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Lovely, hope any minor problems are easily sorted, you are in the right place for expert advice.
Keep us all informed of your experiences.
Bash

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

1150SS wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 17:16
Thank you for welcoming me!

I am still trying to get a handle on posting photos here, but for reference here is a link to the auction.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-lotus-excel/

Cheers!

Scott
Welcome.

This may help you with the photo posting - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11571

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Has it had an engine change - it has early style cam housings/covers? Lovely looking car Scott! Love the black interior 8)

Pete