Classic car insurance

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Kerry
Junior Poster

Classic car insurance

Post by Kerry »

I wonder if anyone can suggest a good insurer as LV will no longer be offering classic car insurance?
Many thanks

Kerry

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Classic car insurance

Post by bash »

I use footmanjames who give a discount for club lotus members. I also use clublotus car valuations as they seem to be more in tune with realistic current values.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

I've been with FJ for almost every year since 1991 (when I bought my first Excel).

Covers both my Esprit & Excel for 10k miles between them, including commuting for just over £300 a year.

You need to check though what is covered as they changed the policy a few years ago so that non standard items were add-ons that you had to request - such as European cover. I fell foul of this, went to Europe one year, was covered, went the next, was not - but only discovered this at the following renewal, when I read that they had added track day cover back as an add-on, and saw that European cover was also an add on - whoops. Just reading my current policy, European cover is included again. I could understand them making add-ons as the vast majority of classic car policy holders will not take their car abroad or on trackdays, just wish that, at the time, they had made it clear, that something previously covered was no longer covered.

Here's a list of all their add-ons and costs to me

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

You should also check out Adrian Flux and Lancaster Insurance…

Cheers, Richard

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I’ve also had good quotes from Peter James who give unlimited mileage and discount for being a club Lotus member. Agreed valuation is via Club Lotus.

Currently with Classic Line who also include track day cover. 2 Excels and an M100 with breakdown etc for £250.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Have been with Classic Line for a few years, but this month I switched to Peter Best, they had a better renewal quote. I'm unusual 'cos I cover rather more miles than the typical classic owner, since I use it as a daily.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Thank you all for your replies very much appreciated. The insurance is due up in early February and I will let you know how I got on.
Kerry

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Just an update on the classic car insurance, we have decided to go with Lancaster insurers as they are able to provide the most suitable insurance for our needs.
Many thanks once again.
Kerry