Power Steering Pump Seized

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

AlSmith
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Power Steering Pump Seized

Post by AlSmith »

After just over a year of ownership I've finally had a roadside brake down and returned home on the back of a RAC truck (at least that saved some fuel :lol: )

Was having fun belting down the M5 when the water temp started to go through the roof, luckily just before a junction so pulled off into a side road and discovered the fan belt had split (melted!). Water pump turns ok but power steering pump is bugged, very slight movement but won't turn!

Found the guide on here so started the removal, bolts out thanks to a impact gun (mucking tight they was) hopefully the hoses will come off with out too much drama. But my main concern is the state of the power steering fluid, it's full of very fine metal as it looks more like shinny liquid graphite than hydraulic fluid! Do you guys think a good flush through with plenty of fresh fluid will be enough once a new pump is fitted? Or will I need to take off the steering rack and strip it down? Its going to be job creep anyway as I might as well change all the belts and timing belt whilst I'm at it.

All advice gratefully received :mrgreen:

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Power Steering Pump Seized

Post by MetBlue »

Does your car have the Saginaw pump or the Holburn Pump? Saginaw was fitted from VIN 89 HD 2981 onwards - Around Aug 1990.
I had exactly the same symptoms a couple of months back with an apparently seized Saginaw pump. Turned out though that one of the front mounting bolts had come loose and was locking the pulley.
If you've got the old pump off though, sounds like you don't have the same simple fix.
That fluid sounds dodgy though. No experience myself, but will be interested in what others post.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

AlSmith
Junior Poster

Post by AlSmith »

I wish it was that simple, unfortunately the pump is well and truly seized. Got it on the bench, nothing fouling the pulley but it just won't turn! Also noticed the carrier/adjusting brake has a crack by the securing allen screw, so probably should replace that as well in case it breaks completely.

Thanks for the advise about two types of pump, my vin is D2931 so most likely the Holborn unit , there is a lable but its unreadable :shock: however, it looks like the one on SJ sports cars web site.

Not sure if this will show the metallic / silver specks in the power steering fluid, it was the normal colour when I set of on my run then 40 minuets later this:-

Sorry for the poor quality

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

Was a long time ago I repaired mine but from memory if the fluid union is screwed off the back of the bell, the whole bell can be slid off, with some resistance from the big o-ring that seals it. The reason for the seizure might the become apparent.
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

AlSmith
Junior Poster

Post by AlSmith »

I almost followed your suggestion as I do love to take things apart and to find out what's failed but...... the replacement pump was on an exchange basis so I'd best send it back as it is without me breaking it any more :mrgreen: