Rear Brake Shoes Question

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Mike C Sailor
Junior Poster

Rear Brake Shoes Question

Post by Mike C Sailor »

I have searched for relevant info but no luck so here is a possibly silly question.
(I often gave training courses at work and told people not to worry about asking silly questions, as the silliest question of all is the one that should have been asked but wasn't).
The rear brake shoes are held to the back plate by a pin and compression spring. I've got the shoes off OK but on the Elite, with such limited access to the rear of the back plate, it looks like it'll be very difficult to get this pin and spring put back.
So, what is the adverse effect of leaving this out?

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Rear Brake Shoes Question

Post by MetBlue »

Don't leave them out !!! Access is tight, but as I recall, the clips are on the sides (3 and 9 O'clock) and you only need fingers behind to hold the pin forward whilst the spring goes on.

The pin / spring hold the shoes onto the back plate, hence shoe material is parallel to the drum surface.
Leave 'em off and I'd be surprised if you got more than a few yards before the brakes lock on - Then you'll have REAL fun trying to get the drums off again. :D

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Mike C Sailor
Junior Poster

Post by Mike C Sailor »

Thanks, it was worth asking.

On one side I have removed the drum, went OK after backing off the adjuster.
But on the other side, using a similar method, I have not been able to shift the adjuster even with a long screwdriver hit with a fairly heavy hammer. Yes, I am trying to move it the right way, top away from me.
I will have a go at removing the drum anyway but as the brakes are partly binding I'm not that hopeful. If this fails I guess I'll remove the diff and try again to back off the adjuster, with more space it just might be easier. If that fails I guess I need to angle grind the drum to pieces . I am however concerned whether drums are available, any advice please?
Are back plates available? If so, perhaps hacking that away might be a better option?

Mike C Sailor
Junior Poster

Post by Mike C Sailor »

Lucky!
I got the brake drum off this morning after much rotating of the system using a length of wood on the wheel studs until it freed up fairly well. With it in a position where it didn't bind, it came off.
More details in my thread in Restorations.