Power Steering Pump Pulley

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Crowman30
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1987

Power Steering Pump Pulley

Post by Crowman30 »

Hi,
I was wondering if any one can help?
I own a 1987 lotus Excel SE.
I have just had the cambelt replaced and the garage discovered there was a slight fray in the drive belt (Fan belt).
They showed me the power steering pump pulley is about 1/4 inch offset from the other pulleys. I have checked all the bills and paperwork from the previous owners and the power steering pump has never been replaced. The only mention is that the reservoir had been tightened at some stage.
So the question is, is the offset normal or does it need further investigation?
Hope you can help.
Thanks Don.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Power Steering Pump Pulley

Post by bash »

Is it offset or has the pump bracket rear fixing come loose, it can cause the pulley to be out of line.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Crowman30
Junior Poster

Post by Crowman30 »

bash wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 08:38
Is it offset or has the pump bracket rear fixing come loose, it can cause the pulley to be out of line.
Bash
It is offset as the garage removed and replaced the pump when fitting the cambelt. The garage I use are very experienced as they only deal with classic and historic vehicles.
I trust them and they advised the pulley was offset and thought this was a bit odd.
Don

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

If they removed the pump, then quite possibly they mounted the pump face A001 in front of the bracket A008 in the graphic below. This would account for 1/4 inch offset.
Peter K

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

My 89 model has the Saginaw pump, but do I recall reading somewhere on the forum that the mounting bracket in the design as in picture above can work loose?
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Yep, thats why I mentioned the bracket as it happened to mine.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Crowman30
Junior Poster

Post by Crowman30 »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 08:28
If they removed the pump, then quite possibly they mounted the pump face A001 in front of the bracket A008 in the graphic below. This would account for 1/4 inch offset.
Thanks.
That looks like a possibility. It is really hard to see the pump from the bonnet. I will investigate further and have a look underneath, I also have a snake cam if all else fails.
Looking in the service manual, two types of pump, three types of brackets. According to the notes it should be a Holborn pump with mk2 bracket, so will check.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Yes, that one in the picture is the Holburn, correct for your year.

Of course, the garage may have put the bracket back how they found it. It might be a PO's / PO's mechanic's mistake?
Peter K

HypnoToad
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red
Year: 1984

Post by HypnoToad »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 08:28
Hi,

I'm currently trying to put together my PAS bracket back on the engine after having to remove it to replace the water pump. I removed it a while back, all the bolts are in a single box so have been mixed up,

I've looked in the workshop manuals, and it doesn't have any diagrams similar to what you have posted above.

Can I ask, do you have a the parts list that goes with this diagram? I need to make sure I'm using the right length bolt for A017, and also if there is a thickness for the A006 spacer that would be good also.

Cheers

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I think the diagram is from the online parts catalogue. It's a one-off subscription to get access. You might find it useful to join to gain access to other Excel info as and when. There should be info on this forum about the method of subscription.
Meanwhile I'll fire up the computer tomorrow to gain access to mine in order to copy the parts list. I'm on my phone ATM and don't have the parts catalogue password for access from here.
Peter K

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Peter K

HypnoToad
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red
Year: 1984

Post by HypnoToad »

That's great, thanks for posting the parts list.

I didn't realise that the online parts catalogue had exploded diagrams, very handy. I'll register for access to this as I'm sure it will be handy for the future.