First impressions….

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

mk2zetec
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Red
Year: 1988

First impressions….

Post by mk2zetec »

I thought I’d share my impressions of our ‘88 excel after the first week together…..I’m sure you lot all know this already as you have one, but if anyone is thinking of taking the plunge then read on!
We’ve had a few short journeys, the wife’s been to Tesco and proved that you can fit a weeks shop in the boot. The only complaint is the doors could do with opening a bit wider. My daughter has squeezed into the rear and marvelled at the comfort “but would be better if I had no legs”. Tonight we’ve had longer run down to the Malpas classic car meet. Still can’t get over how well it drives and that it runs so well with big 45 Carbs and not fuel injection. My BMW ‘02 has twin 40’s and I’d love it cope as well as the Lotus. Tonight’s run was cross country on some nice A roads and the first time I’ve had a chance to sample the car through a series of fast sweeping bends - the steering is absolutely sublime and the gear ratio’s really well spaced to make brisk progress. It’s brilliant.

The reactions from other people have ranged from Why? To Wow! Anyone with a sniff of petrol in their veins will pull a face about reliability and yes, I know what LOTUS stands for but they insist on telling you anyway. After a week, the predictions About breaking down on every trip, electric issues or sudden catastrophic engine failure have failed to materialise. I have however had to unblock a washer jet. There’s a to-do list - a few bits of rattley trim, a door seal to re fix and tidying up the sun visors . Brakes need a strip and clean as squeeling (Lack of use). I’m sure the list will grow but so far we’re loving the lotus!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: First impressions….

Post by Hawaiis0 »

lovely. Smiling like a cheshire cat.

The door hold straps can be extended a little by adding 1cm of extra bar length which opens them wider.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Great reading your positive first impressions.
I know my car needs a suspension refresh. Reading this really makes me want to dive in before the winter, but I must resist.
As Stu says, later cars had a wider door opening. See this link for differences. A little creative thinking should allow a short extension to be fitted.
.https://www.lotusexcel.net/viewtopic.p ... 095#p94095
- and there's always one more job that can be done. That's part of Lotus ownership.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Glad you’re enjoying your experience. The Excel brought reliability to the Lotus ownership experience - even today quite a few are used as daily drivers. Having owned a Porsche 944 (a comparable car to the Excel) I can attest to the delightfully sensitive dynamic character of the Excel.

Cheers, Richard

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Welcome to the fold.
My car made it into PPC in march 2010, and yes, it is v8 powered now.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

mk2zetec
Verified Poster

Post by mk2zetec »

Thanks everyone. Extending the check straps sounds like a must do mod. There’s a little bit of paint to rectify and some trim to sort it everything seems to work (famous last words!)

mk2zetec
Verified Poster

Post by mk2zetec »

bash wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 09:36
Welcome to the fold.
My car made it into PPC in march 2010, and yes, it is v8 powered now.
Bash
Hi bash
That looks like an interesting motor. What v8 is it?
Rgds
Rich

mk2zetec
Verified Poster

Post by mk2zetec »

mk2zetec wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 23:05
Thanks everyone. Extending the check straps sounds like a must do mod. There’s a little bit of paint to rectify and some trim to sort it everything seems to work (famous last words!)
Just read the text. So the rover v8 has found its way in then. Send me some words and a few pics and I’ll see about getting it in again

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Sounds like a plan, I will do that. Meanwhile, if you get bored, theres a build log on here.

viewtopic.php?t=8397

Short version is Rover v8, standard w58 gearbox, Fitech self learning 4 barrel fuel injection.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

mk2zetec
Verified Poster

Post by mk2zetec »

hi bash
sadly PPC is no more although it may get rescued by another publisher. read your stuff and it would have made a good feature!

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

That is a real shame, I hope all the staff get jobs quickly PPC was one of the last tuner mags where people actually got dirty hands by working on cars rather than reporting on what other people did.
Bash

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I bought the first (and lots afterwards) edition of PPC. They were looking for project cars to feature and I told them about my LS1 V8 Excel project - this was so long ago that they asked - what is an LS1?!! - I had one of the first in the country - everyone knows about them now of course :D

Pete