ULEZ expansion 2023 have your say

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

laikathedog
Verified Poster

ULEZ expansion 2023 have your say

Post by laikathedog »

Hi
You may already be aware but there are only a few weeks left of the “consultation” period for expanding the Ultra Low Emissions Zone out to the M25 circling London in the UK

this will result in some classic Lotus (post 1981) and other cars being charged £12.50 per day to be driven

this will result in me putting all my cars on blocks and waiting until they meet historic status, one of which will be two decades !

complete the survey and have your say ;

https://haveyoursay.tfl.gov.uk/cleanair

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Re: ULEZ expansion 2023 have your say

Post by ChrisJ »

Won't it be post 1983 by the time this starts - as the consulation won't make any difference to the decision that has already been made - I'll be able to drive my Esprit in (1982), but notmy Excel (1989).

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

laikathedog wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 13:17
this will result in me putting all my cars on blocks and waiting until they meet historic status, one of which will be two decades !
trying to get a car moving again after 20 years on blocks isn't funny. I'd rethink that strategy!

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Why have the local populace voted in someone who clearly thinks he knows better. Uncle ken, boris and now mr khan all had a track record. At the end of the day everyone in the country has paid for all of the roads and its wrong to exclude people who cannot afford a new car. Its elitism ( no pun intended) at its very worst.
On another note, bus lanes. There's no such thing as "public" transport, all bus companies are privately owned profit making companies so why should they have privileged access to OUR roads. Perhaps leveling up should include a Tesco lane, they are a profit making company too, what's the difference ?
Londoners need to vote someone in with common sense for a change.
Bash
Ps, Ive already voted
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

bash wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 23:01
Why have the local populace voted in someone who clearly thinks he knows better. Uncle ken, boris and now mr khan all had a track record. At the end of the day everyone in the country has paid for all of the roads and its wrong to exclude people who cannot afford a new car. Its elitism ( no pun intended) at its very worst.
On another note, bus lanes. There's no such thing as "public" transport, all bus companies are privately owned profit making companies so why should they have privileged access to OUR roads. Perhaps leveling up should include a Tesco lane, they are a profit making company too, what's the difference ?
Londoners need to vote someone in with common sense for a change.
Bash
Ps, Ive already voted
^^^ (apparently this is the keyboard version of thumbs up! We need a bigger choice of emojis)

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Agreed re Bash’s comments and the need for a thumbs up emoji!

Cheers, Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

I'll just have to take my MG when I visit London.

(Don't start on the "it's not an MG if it ain't built in Abingdon!". I bought it 'cos it's the most appropriate electric car for my family, the fact it shares a badge with the BGTs I once owned is cute, but I appreciate it is meaningless.)
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Crowman30
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1987

Post by Crowman30 »

I used to live about 3 miles from Heathrow Airport inside the M25. 1,300 aircraft take off and land there per day, are they being charged £12.50 per day?
I will not be visiting family that still live within the M25 are very often when the ULEZ is introduced. I have a 2004 Toyota Previa diesel and a 1987 Lotus Excel SE, my wife has a 2008 Daihatsu Copen. None of these can enter the ULEZ without being charged £12.50 per day. Do I want to buy an electric or brand new car? No, I do not want one and cannot afford one.
I would ask is a Lotus Excel a green car? The Excel is made of fibreglass and has a galvanized steel chassis. Theoretically it should last a very long time unlike most cars made of steel destined for the scrap heap when rust makes them unrepairable. Why are new electric cars made out of steel? In built obsolescence perhaps.
Many a study has shown that electric cars are not green to build and have to cover 100,000 miles to equalise the green impact of running and building a petrol car.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I struggle to understand what makes a car qualify to be ULEZ exempt as following this I can see my daily commute will take me just inside the proposed new boundary (Hillingdon Hospital mr Heathrow) on 2 days and I will have to make about a 6 mile detour to drive around a sticky out bit of the zone on the other two days to avoid it, or drive about a mile through it and pay.

BUT on checking the status of my 2007 3.0l diesel Merc with no DPF and only euro4 I find it is exempt :?: :?: :?:

I thought diesels had to comply with euro 6 to be exempt.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Alan - that surely has to be a cock-up on the website that says your car is exempt, there's no way that should qualify!

As for what makes a car "green" - there are many different ways that a car can be green. The ULEZ is focused on local air quality, so if the car is good for that then it doesn't matter about the energy / mining required to build it, or how long it lasts, that's not what the ULEZ is trying to control.

No doubt anyone who complains about the cost of visiting family in London will be advised by Those In Power to come in by train instead. Although, for a family of 4, I should think the car will still be cheaper even taking the ULEZ charge into account. If you can find anywhere to park it.

I can foresee a massive spike in the price of used Leafs (Leaves?) and Zoes as those who cannot afford a new electric car rush out and try and scoop up the cheapest second-hand ones they can find.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

I heard a while ago that one of the most popular cars/taxis in London is the Toyota Prius (aka Pious). As it is a hybrid it is, I believe, ULEZ exempt and also enjoys a low rate of road tax. However most cars have apparently never had the mains charging cable used which is the major contributor to its so-called low emissions classification.

ATB Richard

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

London people carrier for sale.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165522236685 ... Sw9M9iWB8f

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Londons next mayoral transport.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194744843248 ... SwbYNh5WXn
Bash

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Last one....I promise.
Mr Khans next plan to milk his voters and to stop traffic in London
https://www.jorvik.co.uk/york-city-walls/
Bash
(Ps, I know Im a knob, unlike.....)

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

Crowman30 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 21:16
Why are new electric cars made out of steel?
It's good enough. With modern design and production methods it last a lot longer than it used to. And it can be recycled easily. 'ECU's are the new rust', and modernish cars will be scrapped when the electronics will be obsolete or to expensive to fix.