Heater Stuck on HOT, Rusty Nuts and Fan Knobs :)

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Gray14
Junior Poster
Model: Eclat 2.2
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1981

Heater Stuck on HOT, Rusty Nuts and Fan Knobs :)

Post by Gray14 »

The heater control on my Eclat is stuck on hot, can anyone tell me if it’s possible to remove the trim panel around drivers footwell and reach the heater valve and close it manually.

Also located the clicking sound from the engine to be a blown gasket; manifold end to 'downpipe,' and a stud is broken. How difficult a job to undo nut and replace gasket and stud? Leave to professionals or DIY? Sight of 40 year old rusty nuts put me off a bit.

How is the Otter Switch held into the gasket. Mine just has cable ties. :o

Is it standard that the 3rd position at 4.30, on the Interior Heater Fan Knob, turns on the radiator fans?

TIA

G

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Re: Heater Stuck on HOT, Rusty Nuts and Fan Knobs :)

Post by Marten »

Gray14 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 21:21
How difficult a job to undo nut and replace gasket and stud? Leave to professionals or DIY? Sight of 40 year old rusty nuts put me off a bit.
If your attempts fail it willl be more difficult for the next person to fix it. Better know what you are doing. Welding nuts on the remains of the stud and lots of heat often work, drilling offset holes with bits of broken taps not so much ;)

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Heater Stuck on HOT, Rusty Nuts and Fan Knobs :)

Post by MetBlue »

If heater is a rotary control, I guess you are talking about a series 2 Eclat?
Series 1 had a vacuum operated heater valve, mounted just inside the engine bay near the plenum chamber. even if it's cable operated I'd expect the valve to be in the same place. Either way, you should therefore be able to force close the valve in the engine bay.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.