Door Latch adjustment

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Door Latch adjustment

Post by DavidOliver »

Recently the driver´s door on my MY85 decided to open while I was driving, I managed to catch it before it tried to break off the hinge.
I removed the latch and opened up the mechanism by drilling out the centre rivet.
On lifting off the metal plate it is easy for a small spring to jump out so do this in a controlled space as the springs are not sold separately.
It seems that latches are also not readily available.
I found that the latch mechanism did not engage securely so I filed down the latch tooth to provide a more direct contact and then re-assembled with Copper slip as lubricant. The drilled out rivet was replaced with a 10mm bolt.
The external door handle was found to have been refettled, very badly with a soft RTV compound to glue back the dislocated bobbins. How anyone expected the bobbins to stay in place in the plastic casing is beyond understanding, no wonder these latches cannot now be found as most will have have done the Norwegian Blue.
I reset the bobbins with Araldite.
On refitting the adjustment on the control rods was just a question of patience trial and adjust.
I found that if either of the latch rods was a little tight the latch could burst open.
I hope the pictures indicate the inside mechanism which will not normally be investigated.Image

Dave the cog

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Door Latch adjustment

Post by bash »

Sounds exactly what I had to do about 10 years ago. I used liquid metal on the bobbins and I havnt had to touch it since.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Post by Jason.goad »

I recently had the same problem. I've noticed the backplate on the latch is bent out of shape. As my car has only 50.000 miles and I don't think BL's build quality was even this poor, it must be in-correct adjustment that's causing the issue. The catches are avaiable on Ebay. I paid £38 and the chap had 10 genuine NoS. The only difference is the catch for the child lock.

Rashid Zuev
Unverified Poster

Post by Rashid Zuev »

It sounds like you have taken the time to thoroughly diagnose and repair the issue with the driver's door latch on your MY85. It is not uncommon for door latches to wear out or become loose over time, especially with frequent use. Filing down the latch tooth to provide more direct contact and using Copper slip as a lubricant, as well as replacing the rivet with a 10mm bolt, are both smart solutions to improve the overall function of the latch mechanism.

It is also good that you were able to identify and fix the problem with the external door handle, which was refitted poorly with a soft RTV compound. This could have been a major contributing factor to the latch malfunctioning. You better check with locksmith se26. The use of Araldite to reset the bobbins is a great idea, as it will provide a stronger and more secure hold.

Adjusting the control rods for the latch can be a time-consuming process, but your patience and trial-and-error approach have paid off. It's important to ensure that both latch rods are not too tight as this could cause the latch to burst open.

It's important to be aware that door latches may not be readily available or sold separately, and that's why it's important to diagnose, repair and maintain it in a proper way. Your explanation with pictures is very helpful for anyone who has similar issues with their vehicle, and it's great that you shared your experience and knowledge.