Meet the new family member

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Re: Meet the new family member

Post by Alan_M »

Excel SA wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 06:16
Good progress Alan - you're getting through that list of things to do quickly!
Well, I think today might be a turning point in the getting things done quickly!

Got everything back together today while dodging heavy rain showers and was very happy when the car fired up on the first turn of the key, BUT as allowed it to run up to temperature I noticed water leaking from the water pump :!: :!: :!: :!:

So, it’s all going to have to come back off again together with the water pump. At least my hands might stay a bit cleaner this time :lol:

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Alan_M wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 21:15
Excel SA wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 06:16
Good progress Alan - you're getting through that list of things to do quickly!
Well, I think today might be a turning point in the getting things done quickly!

Got everything back together today while dodging heavy rain showers and was very happy when the car fired up on the first turn of the key, BUT as allowed it to run up to temperature I noticed water leaking from the water pump :!: :!: :!: :!:

So, it’s all going to have to come back off again together with the water pump. At least my hands might stay a bit cleaner this time :lol:
This is the main reason I fitted an EWP in place of the OE water pump. Seals tear/degrade and let you down. My worst event was in the Elite during the 80's in heavy traffic driving through Newmarket at rush hour. The pump really let go, and it started to overheat. It was so embarrassing at the time, I felt every on-looker was chanting L.O.T.U.S at me!
EWP80 is now 16 years old and still going strong. :)
Peter K

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

At least you seem to be doing two steps forward and one back rather than the other way round! Looking good.

Appreciate the comments from Peter K and others on the steering rack boot - thanks!

Cheers, Richard

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

A little more progress this weekend.

Everything removed that I’d only just done to allow removal of water pump. What a pig to access the bolts for the power steering bracket to the pump. Had to give up on the one as I had nothing that I could get on the one Allen bolt, so ended up removing the bracket and pump together.

Everything cleaned and reinstalled with a gasket ( originally no gasket is used) and some Hylomar AF on both sides of the gasket.

Also used the Hylomar on all hose fittings, again advice from Tim Engel - certainly helps the hoses slide on easier and should ensure a good seal.

All back together and coolant system filled with Prestone cooling system flush and car left to idle for an hour. This time no water leaks or over heating.

Cooling system drained and refilled another 4 times to give a good flush.

While engine was hot, oil drained, filter removed and refilled with Valvoline VR1 20W50 and a new K&N oil filter.

Then on to tuning the carbs whilst the engine was running to flush the cooling system. Carbs still had their anti-tamper plugs fitted.

Before starting I measured CO and this was quite low at 0.3 and HC were around 30. The idle was pretty lumpy and a little hesitant revving from idle.

After removing the tamper proof plugs I found all air correction screws fully closed and idle mixture screws set out around 1 1/2 turns.

Using a 4 tube manometer I’ve got it idling smoother and hesitation off idle is gone. CO now 0.7 and HC 120.
I’ll give it a better tune after I get an MOT and had chance to drive it.

Finally replaced the voltage regulator on the alternator that was leaking sticky goop.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Great work Alan. You should be able to get it running sweetly by the time the tune is fine-tuned! :D

Could you see what made the aux pulley so hard to remove? At least it didn't have the countersunk screw to deal with.

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:37

Could you see what made the aux pulley so hard to remove? At least it didn't have the countersunk screw to deal with.

Pete
It just seems a very snug interference fit. There were a couple of “dirty” marks on the shaft and inside the pulley - not as bad as the above photo, that was after getting it wet while using a power washer.

I cleaned everything up with a grey scotch pad and used ceramic grease to reassemble. Even then I could only push it on a few mm and had to use the bolt to wind it on fully.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Alan

I recall you saying on Wednesdays call that the switch for the cooling fans was behaving oddly. - 7 seconds on, then off for a while and cycling ?

This is the switch I fitted to my car recently
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383433968794

Checked it out properly yesterday. Switched fabs on at around 85 deg, then ran for about 1 - 2 minutes, bring temp down to around 80 deg before switching fans off.

If your switch behaves as you say, it would seem it has no real hysteresis hence responds almost instantly to a drop in temp.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Thanks Tony. I think the thread on the one you used is M22. Not sure what size thread is on the one that’s been fitted to mine, bit more like M14 or 16.

When I had the car idling for an hour the fan started coming in around 85C and cycling on and off about every 7 seconds. As temp rose to about 95C the fans stayed on fully until temp dropped to about 85C.
All this was with either just water or a flush added. So temps should be a bit better with coolant added 🤞

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

So, a quick update and probably the main one is this -

It’s first MOT in 14 years :D :D

However, not all good news as, although the car will sit and idle and remain in correct temperature range, driving to the MOT it was sitting very close to the edge of red zone and even crept into it. But switching it off and in 2-3 minutes it’s dropped 20 degrees and back in normal range :?:

Both fans are switching on, thermostat is new and opening when it should, no leaks at water pump and vanes all clear, not actually boiling over releasing water from expansion tank, interior blowing hottish, so guess maybe a radiator issue?

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Well done Alan, must be some kind of record getting a car through its mot so quickly. Did you like driving it or is it too soon to say?

Cheers, Richard

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

richardw wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:44
Well done Alan, must be some kind of record getting a car through its mot so quickly. Did you like driving it or is it too soon to say?

Cheers, Richard
It was very nice to drive, transmission, suspension, steering and engine feel like a car that has done such a low mileage. Very solid with no rattles, clunks etc. Didn’t really push it though due to the engine temps.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Great result Alan! Time for new rad?

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Well done Alan. Sure you'll quickly get to the bottom of the cooling issue.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Pete Boole wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 13:21
Great result Alan! Time for new rad?

Pete
I think so, fortunately I have the one from the SE lying about, so will fit that and see what happens.

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

MetBlue wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 13:56
Well done Alan. Sure you'll quickly get to the bottom of the cooling issue.
Tony
Thanks, let’s hope it’s not too much. Then I can get on to the cosmetics.