General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

As I've got myself an '85 Excel I thought it would be a smart move to join this forum. Untill now (got it in August) i've been busy with all the usual stuff as engine service, cleaning all switches and fuseboard, getting the doors to open & shut properly, undoinig 'repairs' , replacing headlamps etc. Now with the car laid up for winter it's time to tackle the bigger issues like olil leaks, brakes (servo is shot by the looks of it) and the clutch which is very heavy.

So my first question to the experts: will the body liift straight up from the chassis (got a two post lift) or do things have to be angled as in some factory films I've seen ?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: New member

Post by Pete Boole »

Welcome to the forum! If the engine is out already the body comes off vertically. If the engine is still in the left hand cam housing gets in the way. If you're going as far as taking the body off I'd remove the engine and gearbox first. Have you looked at the "how to post photos" thread yet? Love to see some photos :D

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Welcome Marten (at last!) - good to see you here.

Cheers, Richard

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red

Post by Marten »

Pete Boole wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 09:25
Welcome to the forum! If the engine is out already the body comes off vertically. If the engine is still in the left hand cam housing gets in the way. If you're going as far as taking the body off I'd remove the engine and gearbox first. Have you looked at the "how to post photos" thread yet? Love to see some photos :D

Pete
My assumption was that getting the body off would be the easy way to get at the engine, glad i asked ;)

LotusDave
Verified Poster
Model: Non SE
Colour: White

Post by LotusDave »

Hi Marten,

I wanted to do just that, remove the body to make getting the engine and gearbox out easier.

I'm going to do a post on the start of my restoration very soon. I'm at the stage of body removed, chassis in my garage and now have just removed the engine and gearbox. I just put a winch cable around the engine (attached to the garage roof) and lifted the engine about a foot from its mountings and while wiggling and lifting the gearbox just rolled the chassis out of the way. Very easy and safe.

Here is my chassis after I removed the shell.

I supported the engine, removed both engine mounts, undid the gearbox mounting and lowered the engine down onto the chassis (its a flat chassis and a flat sump, so no damage) then physically pulled/slid the engine as far as I could towards the drivers side. This gave just enough clearance to lift off the bodyshell, missing the left camshaft cover.

CID
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by CID »

Hello Marten,

Welkom.
Nice car I must say. Did he come from Bauke perhaps??

Taking the body off I would only do if you really need to restore the car completely.

Rgds Curt