New member - new owner

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Green
Year: 1987

Re: New member - new owner

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Those are the things I'm going to be finding out (and my solutions to them) over the next couple of weeks. Been away this weekend so will start investigating how it's all going to come together this week and next.

At this stage I've not even had a chance to offer the fan cowl up to the radiator (I've taken the fans out so I could test and fettle them - still looking for the little circlips to put new ones on each fan etc etc).

I'll post my solutions in due course (whether you choose to agree or not with my 'solutions' remains to be seen!).

:)

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

More shenanigans on the radiator front. I'm busy taking step by step pictures of how my MG TF choice of radiator will be made to fit the Excel's space/mounting positions. It's no big deal but whilst I'm taking some stuff off the current/ruined radiator I thought I'd take the rust off the mounting tabs, then paint and protect them before putting them on the new one.

I'm also busy measuring up and offering up the fan cowl to see the best way of fitting that too (the new radiator is a couple of mm shorter in height - enough to make a difference not be able to use the existing screw holes in the cowl - one of mine has broken anyway so it's not such a big deal for me but nevertheless - for the sake of completeness I'm measuring/photoing/giving it much thought).

It's also alot lighter too.

I'm hoping it performs fine and that it's a truly viable option for everyone, without compromises with a straight forward 'how to' to follow so it's another alternative if people don't want to down the ebay or original route.

For me - it's been a journey to see if I could save some money and create a viable route. Saving money but needing a bodged solution to work wasn't what I wanted. I'd have recommended that you go down the other routes otherwise.

As I say - I was prepared to risk the £100 to see if the MG TF route works and so far - I think it's going to work out. BUT I'm not saying this is a success until I've driven the car extensively and the radiator has performed to no detriment to the car.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

You can also get "upgraded" versions (for racing etc..) with increased cooling capacity that aren't too expensive.

Pete

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Where from Pete? Got a link(s)?

Gray14
Junior Poster
Model: Eclat 2.2
Year: 1981

Post by Gray14 »

'Scuse me jumping in Pete, just happen to be browsing:

Lots on Ebay, have heard of a few people purchasing them and being happy with the result. G

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... e+radiator

and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273900878911 ... SwuN5fmTND

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Hi everyone

My wife is extremely ill (cancer) at the moment; life (and thus the Lotus) is all on hold, whilst we put all our energies into her treatment and recovery. I continue to try to get some time on 'Doug' but understandably, life/kids/cookig/household/etc etc takes priority.

Oi_Oi

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Really sorry to hear this, best wishes to your wife for a successful recovery, and to you and the rest of the family to find your way through this difficult time. We will always be here when you get back to your car, or any other time when you need to escape the pressures of life and just chat motors!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Family always comes first, good luck to you all especially your wife.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

May I add my best wishes to you and your family.

All the best, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Yep - very best wishes to you and your wife!

Pete

TAR
Regular Poster
Model: Elite Type 75
Colour: blue

Post by TAR »

Really sorry to hear your news. I hope things go as well as they can for your wife. :)

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

How do you remove the Lotus gearknob? Is it a twist-off or do you pull it?

Separately - wife is v poorly at the moment and starts 6 months of chemo in Mid-October. I'm trying to grab 30 mins here, 20 mins there to inch the Lotus along to finishing it but it's not easy. No pictures or anything at the moment - time on the car is the essence.

There's not actually that much to do when I write it all down.....but can be daunting when you walk in to piles of stuff on the side of the shed, that should, by rights, be in on the car!

Needs a Water pump (£150 ish), needs a passenger door latch (triumph dolomite rear, £35 ish), 4 new tyres (£300 to....well a £1,000+ if you decide that you have to have the same Pirellis that Quattro's use from Longstone Tyres.....which mine wont be wearing.....:) , 4 x alloy wheel refurb (£200 all in), a windscreen wiper (£20) and 2 headlights (to fit the 2 x landrover innards I've bought for the princely sum £25 at a jumble sale - new in the box and have only required an absolute bare-minimum of fettling of the units to ensure a flush fit within the Excel pods). So roughly £1,000 all in (there will be sundry expenses too of course).

I've also found a very high-end Alpine head unit (£10) that is commensurate in age (ok it's a 1992 as opposed to a 1987 but frankly - I'm not sure I can muster the energy to care that much about someone's angst at the discrepancy - that I'll be fitting along with new front speakers - not bought yet but amazon seems to kick out a couple of potentials for £20-£40 - unless you guys have suggestions? - I'd love to be able to buy Focals or something.....but that's just not going to happen so interested to hear what people chose) and perhaps an under-seat sub (or I'll just put a small sub in the boot on the left hand side in a bespoke enclosure. All v Max-power potentially....but I'm going to try and keep it stealth/blended in, not shouty.....but in-car music is something I really like (and it's where I get to play what I want than the kid's choices that often take preference.......) :) Such is life these days.

I'm also pondering carpets (sound deadening and new carpets or try to fettle the old stuff - that has suffered somewhat due to water) and I'm not happy with the dash (needs to come out....the left-hand side has really suffered and I'm also certain there's an issue with the heater/fans behind the dash - but there's quite alot of things disconnected - when shining a torch into the innards). It's just got to come out.

Trouble is - to my mind, it's more than a 30 min job so I keep on struggling to find the time to tackle it and I'm not happy with the previous owners attempts at replacing the roof lining either. Going to look at some past threads on here on that. But again - can I live with the roof as it is, just finish the mechanicals, sort the dash innards, sort the rest of the car and then get the mot - then I can actually drive it and turn it in to a rolling resto than a massive wall-ornament that it is now.

It's the mot for me - get it sorted, safe to drive, get the mot and then tackle things from that point on.

We'll see. I'll update things in a month. We'll have had the first of the chemo sessions.....so perhaps things are a little clearer in what we're facing then.

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

I'm thinking of using the 4 way stretch Veltrim (with high temp glue) for the roof lining. About £35-£45 all in I think.

Oi_Oi_Savaloy
Junior Poster

Post by Oi_Oi_Savaloy »

Ok.....finally got the gearknob off.....it's, I think, an aftermarket one, judging by the fact it says 'momo' on it and was simply glued to the shaft rather than screwed onto it as I think they should be.

Can you even get OEM gearknobs any more or should I just go for it and choose something I like? Oh and does it have to be weighted or can I just go for a simple wooden one (which will be alot lighter than the heavy metal momo one I've just taken off there?

And is there an optimum height (the Lotus height) as it were?

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

There are not any original gear knobs listed on SJ Sports cars but you can buy the badge that goes on the top. Lotusbits must have a box full. Maybe buy one from Lotusbits and put a new badge on?
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!